Hello all, from BC, Canada!!

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Skye
Groupie

Hello all, from BC, Canada!!

Post by Skye »

hi... im very interested in breeding zebra plecs. i need a lot of info before i do, so lets begin...

first off... good size tank?? next... well, whats next?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

How many do you have? How many do you want to work with? Starting there and working back will probably be easier on all of us ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

lol! good point barbie... ps... im skye4jc on fishforever.co.uk... hi again! :)

ok well, whats a good ratio for breeding? 2 males and 3 females? i would ultimately like 5 or 6 i guess. but if i wanted just 1 or 2 to add to a tank of other fish ( what would go with them, anyhow??) for now, then what would be a good size? so i guess its 2 questions... 1) to breed... a good size tank would look like....2) to simply keep as part of an aquarium... what goes well, and thus, what would be a good size for such an endeavour?

basically i need some good advise on my next tank purchase. 30 gal? 45? 10?? 100??
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Skye

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find loads of useful and friendly info.

Five is a good number, and at that 3 females and 2 males is perfect. preferabley one older male and one younger one.

FIst of all you'll need a good sized tank to create the possibility of two colonies. The easiest way to do this to basically split the tank in two with caves etc. I.e. if your tank is 3ft long, stick some caves down the centre, with some facing to the right and some to the left. Hopefully a male will inhabit each side.

As far as tanks go I would recommend nothing less that about 100l for 5 zebras, with as large a surface area as possible.

for example 3ft long by 15" wide, by 15" high, this will vary on personal opinion and space. Secondly....scope out the possibility that you can convince everyone else in the house to give up the study so you can build a fishroom!!! :lol:

If you want to breed them I would suggest keeping them on their own, although I know McEve has had success wuth Endlers in the tank.

Ok... everyone else...over-to you..... :wink:

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Welcome to the forum Skye,

If you thumb through the posts on the forum you'll pretty much find answers to most if not all of your questions. As Rob says 2 males and 3 females is a good ratio, more would of course be better to guarantee some good breeders. I would say 5 to 8 zebras in a tank no less than 3ft should be fine, bigger would obviously be better. Personally I would keep them in a species tank, however if you must keep them with other fish I would choose fish that stick to the top/mid and avoid bottom dwellers. Oppinion is split on this as some members here have bred with other tank occupants being present.

Good luck.