Hello all from a very small village in NW Ohio USA

Hmmm...what else can I say!
a_short_round_1

Hello all from a very small village in NW Ohio USA

Post by a_short_round_1 »

Hello everyone!
I'm new, I have had fish for about 15 years. Mostly Central and South American Cichlids, along with some various pleco's and corys. I am in the process of setting up a 220 gallon tank 72 inches long by 24 inches wide by 30 inches deep. I would like to make it a planted tank, with discus, corys, & cardinal tetras. Would I be able to keep zebras in this? I am facinated by zebras and would like to keep some to breed.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Welcome to the forum, sounds like a nice thank you are setting up. Keep us posted on teh progress. :)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi a_short_round_1,

I personally have never been sucessful in keeping zebras alive in a community set up for very long. I believe (in hindsight) that it was due to them being starved for food.
If you are sure that the zebras are feeding in your new set up and will not be starved , then it should be ok. Personally I would not keep them in a community set up with the risks involved. Saying that, I know that Zebras have been kept in community set ups by some aquarists. However I do not know what other fish were kept with them.
Considering their cost and export ban from Brazil, I would try and keep them in a species tank, and then after sucessfully breeding them , try some older fry in your community set up.
Regards,
Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi There

Welcome to the forum, always good to see more people from across the water.

As far as keeping zebras in your new tanks, I don't see why not. The parameters for discus are actually quite similar, apart from the flow rate. Due to the size of the tanks however, there is no reason why you couldn't have a localised powerhead, just for the zebras. Also make sure you have lots of hiding places / caves etc.

Good luck mate, and once again welcome to the forum.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your setting up a great tank! I kept a group of five zebras a few years back while I was moving around a lot so they moved from a species tank to a community tank and then back again.

I didn't have too many problems with them in the community tank but it was VERY small (20UK Gals) and therefore I could driect the food to them when the lights went out. I deliberately overfed to make sure they got some food.

In the species tank they will thrive without can competition for food and with a nice warm tank, lots of current and the caves they should breed. I never managed it myself but then again I didn't give them the correct caves. I have only learn't that buy using this website, and I don't have the Zebras anymore.

All the best

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi a_short_round_1 and welcome to the forum,

A 220gal tank :shock: . It should be quite impressive when it's up and running don't forget to post some pictures, that's if you can fit the tank in your camera's viewfinder. :lol:

My first batch of zebras spent about 2 months im my community tank and appeared to be doing well, always visible at feeding time. I was then told that they were scrambling for food due to hunger and that eventually they would lose the battle for food with the other more competetive species in the tank. It was always my plan to give them their own tank, they now have just that and are thriving. Infact some of them are quite rotund now, perhaps pregnant females or as is more likely to be the case over indulgence. The only other tank inhabitants are a "clean up" crew of shrimp that do a good job of disposing of uneaten food and keeping algae at bay.

If you can guarantee that the zebras will get enough food in the community tank then put some in. However you will have to over feed at night to ensure that they get their fair share which could eventually lead to water quality problems. It will also be harder for your zebras to find food in a 220gal tank as they are not fish that will forage for food much beyond their territory. To be honest with the way that things are going with zebras, scarcity and price, it is too risky to gamble with their well being.

Sorry to scupper your plans but I'm sure that if you are serious about zebras you will want to keep them in optimum conditions and in doing so give them the best possible chance to thrive.