Introducing myself : Cedus

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Cedus

Introducing myself : Cedus

Post by Cedus »

Hello everybody,

Here is my little story about L46.
I have been reading a lot of things about them since early 2003, everything available on the web but also the few articles available. If you are interested in those written element I can scan you the original description of the specie article by Nijssen and Brückner.
I bought my first 2 zebra 2 weeks before Christmas 2003, almost 10 month ago.
I first put them in my main tank (200L) where they were doing fine. But I always had the idea of building them a special tank only for them.
It was done at the beginning of January 2004.
The set-up is the following :
Tank size : 120 L
Substrate : Gravels (3-5 mm) a lot of stones and 1 inch PVC tube (20 cm long)
3 poweheads for a total of 1200 liters per hour (around 10 times the size of the tank). They are placed to create a circular stream
Heater : 28°C all year long
No plant and 2x18w lighting 10 hours per day.

After a few weeks I decided to buy other members.
I have now 6 of them in my tank from 6 to 8 cm.

Everything is doing fine except they are not spawning !!!

In fact I think I have a big problem. It appears I have only 6 males. I am so unlucky. I always found them difficult to differenciate but I am almost sure there are 6 males. ElTofi a swiss L46 breeder (almost 40 little L46 now) confirmed my thought I had only males.

Such a shame !!!

Luckily 2 weeks ago my local dealer received around 15 zebras and he agreed to change one of my male with one of his female (supposed female). I spend almost 2 hours looking at the fish and even called in Switzerland for help. I finally took a fish who seems to be a female for me. We will see !

The only thing I know is since I introduced this fish 2 of my biggest males are keeping on fighting ! I hope it is a good sign.
I decided to feed them a lot for 2 or 3 weeks and in one month time I will start a flood simulation.

This was my little story. To conclude I will just say I am living in Paris in France and :

If you have a mature female zebra you want to exchange against a male or even to sell don't hesitate to call me.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Cedus glad you could join us

Sounds like you've been unlucky with the males. If they are fighting it sounds like you might need some more territories, although 6 males is alot, but the 200 litre shoulde definately cope.

WHy not post a few pics on line and we will see if anyone can identify them as males or females.

If you don't have a site to uplad them to send me an e-mail with them attached.

cheers

rob
Cedus

Post by Cedus »

Picture of the female (fingers crossed) I get 2 weeks ago are there :
http://www.eauzone.fr.st/hz

I will upload pictures of the other fishes later this week.

I don't think I don't have enough territories. Each male has its own cave and they were not fighting before adding this new fish and taking out one of the males.

The thing is perhaps I took out the dominant male and they are fighting together to gain supremacy !