Hello

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Rugbylad

Hello

Post by Rugbylad »

Hi there everyone I am new to the zebra plecs. I've kept lots of tropical fish and realy like my odd balls. I have wanted to try the zebras for many years now but there has been so much contradicting info I just got put off. But now I am just going to go for it take the plunge and try them in my community tank.
TwoTankAmin

Re: Hello

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Welcome to the site and the wonderful world of zebras. For the most part these fish will do best if kept in a species tank. Also, bear in mind the saying that "a happy zebra is a hiding zebra." it is probably one of the most expensive fish you almost never see in a tank. Zebras are not great competitors for food which can be an issue in a community tank. In the wild, these fish live where there are not many plants and there are no small dither type fish because the environment cannot support them. They need warm well oxygenated water. I needed to park a couple of zebras for a few years and I chose to put them into a tank with a pair of discus. This pleco also appreciates decent flow, so its best kept with fish that can tolerate this.

When I got my breeding group they went into the tank at 90F temperature wise for the first week to 10 days and then I dropped it to the 84-86 range. Others often run them a little cooler.

All that aside, what you will find is how excited you get when you catch sight of a tail or see one dash for cover. And they do need cover and males do need a cave.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.