Hello from Scotland :) I'm back :)

Hmmm...what else can I say!
civicr
Obsessed!!

Hello from Scotland :) I'm back :)

Post by civicr »

A big hello to all members , after 7 years away from tropical I'm wanting to have zebs back in my life :) after successfully breeding these little beauties back 2008/9 I'd like to try it again
Any 1 with juvi up in Scotland area drop me a message
Since I've been away I tried my hand in marine which I grew an fragged corals successfully an breed clown fish
Looking forward to reading how the zebs have changed in my time away and what knowledge has been gained an changed
Ryan
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
3x zeb fry 2days old 11/09/08
TwoTankAmin

Re: Hello from Scotland :) I'm back :)

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Welcome back, I recognize that screen name. Perhaps the biggest changes relative to zebras has been the increase in the number of people worldwide now spawning them. This is now happening both in hobby tanks and commercial operations, However. the prices still tend to remain high, just not as high as they peaked at.

The biggest potential change is what might be happening in the wild due to the new Belo Monte dam. How this will affect the wild population in the Xingu and some of its small tributaries is uncertain. My belief from the start of the project was the odds favor it becoming extinct. A project to get them established in another river failed completely. I think we will know the fate of the fish in the wild in the not too distant future.

I hope that all the captive fish and breeders will insure the survival of the species on the planet even if not in the wild.

Finally, as the zebras became more popular and more widely kept, this site has slowed way down. Where is once was the number one site for zebra information, things have changed. People are more often elsewhere in that respect.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
civicr
Obsessed!!

Post by civicr »

Thanks for your reply
Since my last post I'm hopefully picking up a group of 9 zebs ranging from 2 inch to 3 inch in size with 4 mixed bloodlines
So exciting times,
It will be a sad day if these beauties go extenict I noticed the site is very slow I sopose back on the day there wasn't like face book were there's lots of info about an mobile tech were its all easy to find answers
I'll keep you updated many thanks
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I like to think one reason that the site has slowed is that it did a good job at educating people. There are now more folks who keep and spawn these amazing looking fish than ever. And yes Facebook, but moreso because sites like Planetcatfish or Scotcat now have really good zebra info as well which means people have more choices where to go.

I am not on social media, so I am just assuming that part of things is true.
civicr
Obsessed!!

Post by civicr »

Picked up my new zebs
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As far as I can tell, not all of those fish pictured are zebras??? Three look to be another species.

The top picture has 11 fish and two are not zebras- the small one under the bigger zebra;'s tail and the one up the corner in the top left.

The bottom picture has 12 fish and three are not zebras- the little one in the middle of the row of three at the top, the one directly below it and then the one that is a couple of inches to the left of it. They are all clearly smaller than the zebras.

Zebras are pretty much impossible to confuse with any other fish, even soon after they go free swimming they are clearly zebras:
civicr
Obsessed!!

Post by civicr »

Sorry forgot to mention I have 3 X l201 queen abersque in there aswell
2x wild zebs
4x mature zebs
6x juvi zebs
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

201 is not the Queen, that is L260.

This is the 201 which is a spotted fish- http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/spe ... es_id=2178
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Welcome back man I too remember you and I too am in the same situation and looking, did you get them local? is there more for sale hah :P

Keep us updated with pics ;)
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net