A newbie from belgium

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Coen

A newbie from belgium

Post by Coen »

Hello everyone!

My name is Amaury and I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 15 years, I've been breeding discus for several years (Piwowarski, Stendker, Asians, etc.).
Since about 5-6 years, I have redirected myself to loricariidae. I maintain the following species: L46, L236sw and L136C in a specific facility for them:

This year I have launched a brand of 3D printed products specifically for the aquarium trade, the first product I have created is the Eggster Egg tumbler for plecos and Africans cichlids. This product allows for example to save loricariidae spawns when the male expels the spawn from his tube.
Here is a video of how it works: https://vimeo.com/500835688
If this information disturbs the rules of the forum, don't hesitate to delete it :)

Have a nice day!
Last edited by Coen on Sun May 16, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyboy31175
Forum Follower

Re: A newbie from belgium

Post by mikeyboy31175 »

hi and welcome seems fine too me :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

One suggestion, instead of a trio, consider 5 fish, 2 m and 3 fm. I think you may be more successful with such a combination. It also means that, should something go wrong and you lose a male, this will not mean the end of potential spawning. The tank you mention should be fine for 5 fish. Just provide lots of cover and one cave per fish, including fms. The choice helps and fms often willtemporarily hide or overnight in one.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Coen

Post by Coen »

TwoTankAmin wrote:One suggestion, instead of a trio, consider 5 fish, 2 m and 3 fm. I think you may be more successful with such a combination. It also means that, should something go wrong and you lose a male, this will not mean the end of potential spawning. The tank you mention should be fine for 5 fish. Just provide lots of cover and one cave per fish, including fms. The choice helps and fms often willtemporarily hide or overnight in one.
Yes but if i keep 2m, they will fight for the females no ?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Hopefully yes. This will foster more spawns. In a tank with 13 adult fish I would have eggs in one cave with one dad and wigglers in another. At the peak I once had a 3rd dad going for a round with the other 2. I believe that spawning begats more spawning. The number 2 male and female still want to spawn after all.

I have also seen females try or actually eat eggs or small wigglers if they can when a dad slips out for bite, which they may do. She knows he wont spawn if he is on a brood. So by getting rid of them, she gets a shot before the original female is ready to go again.

Basically, it only takes one of each sex to spawn, but that doesn't make it the only or even the best way to go about things. In the end, whatever works best is what most folks will stay with. For me that has been groups over pairs or trios. However, if one way doesn't work, try another until it does :)
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.