Polystyrene help

Anything from making a cave, to building a fishroom, this is the place to post.
Lucy
Groupie

Polystyrene help

Post by Lucy »

Hi Guys
Sorry it's been so long since I posted - life just gets in the way sometimes!! :dizzy:

I'm about to re-do my 70gal wave-front tank & I want to layer up the back.
I know I've seen polystyrene used for this but I cant find any of the threads so I'm hoping you can help.

The idea is to build up different levels, not to make caves with it, & to cover it using pea gravel cemented on with black tank sealant - anyone see any problems so far?

Does it matter what type of poly it is? I've got some loft insulation type & it doesn't say that it's coated with anything... but it doesn't say it isn't - :? should I 'seal' it all over with sealant to make sure? What have other people used?

Or do you have any other experience of what could be used instead?

Thanks for all your help - the Zebs are doing great by the way, not breeding yet but they seem happy & are growing well so I've no complaints! :)

Lucy <><
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a terraced tank which was created using styrofoam. I used small stone to create retaining walls and the gravel sits atop the styro base held in by the rock walls. Here are a few pics of it before and after:

Final layout:

After Planting:

One issue is that the styro floats. I had to hollow out a space at the rear of the lower terrace base and put a large piece of slate inside. I also used black silicone to attach the rear of the walls and styro to the black glass. In my case I wasnted to seal the walls etc so that i could add gravel ferts in the terrace gravel and not worry about it leaching into the water and creating algae issues

The stones that make up the retaining wall ae held together by silicone and then all gaps were filled in the walls from the rear using silicone.

I have had no issues with the styro disolving or leaching anything into the water. That tank has now been up for about 6 years and is one of my healthiest tanks.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

WOW!!!! What a lovely setup!!
I love the 'dry wall' look of the stones... mmmm I might have to rethink pea gravel on the edges 'cos that just looks fabulous!

Lucy <><