3 caves for under $20

Anything from making a cave, to building a fishroom, this is the place to post.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Cool. Thanks man. You've been allot of help. I'm sure the more I do, the easier they will be, and the better they will look.

The only thing I don't like is that's it's VERY MESSY. LOL The blade also throws off the measurements if I use the built in ruler, but I found that if I move the guide to the other side, I could get accurate cuts using the built in ruler.

TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

The built in ruler on my unit is pants. I use a steel drawing ruler and align the guide using this (again, I'll add pics to make it more clear).

I should be making some caves tomorrow, so things will make more sense then :D

Tom
Last edited by TomSharland on Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be thankful for wooden floors

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

TomSharland wrote:The built in ruler on my unit is pants. I use a steel drawing ruler and align the guide using this (again, I'll add pics to make it more clear).

I should be making some caves tomorrow, so thing will make more sense then :D

Tom
Yeah, it was throwing me off. And I realized that I didn't lock the guide really tight. One side would be like 1.5", then the other side would move to like 1.75". I wondered why my cuts were so off.

But yeah, you're instructions would help. I'm also thinking of making some caves with no bottoms for bare bottom tanks. Not really for breeding, but my L-333 prefers to hide in the them and since it's in a BB tank, it's a little confused about the extra step of the cave with the bottom.

TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

I make caves with no tops for a zeb breeder on here, thay are easy to make, but just need a little more care when gluing.

Tom

rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Looks good crazy.eddie. They turned out a lot better than mine. I’ll have to buy some from you when you get a couple extra. What about a piece of slate if front of the caves? I think it was Mceve (I hope I’m right) who said to put it there. I bought a 12” x 12” slate tile and put my caves on top. I’ll post some pics when I get it all together
Bobby

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I've seen pics where someone did some extra work and used a drummel to carve into the stone, making it look a little more natural. Looks like allot of work to me. The step is not a problem to put though.

I also bought a 12x12 piece and I'm actually thinking of making tunnels/caves for my clown loaches to use.

TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

My mate has 3 of my 6" x 2" x 1.5" caves and his young clown loaches spend a lot of time in them. I've even seen 5 x 3" fish crammed in stacked on their sides peeking out of the caves :shock: Mind you, clown loaches are a bit batty to say the least :lol:

Tom

saacbeser

Re: 3 caves for under $20

Post by saacbeser »

they're real slate, i use the same things to sink driftwood i collect and clean