Tank Home Build

Anything from making a cave, to building a fishroom, this is the place to post.
Richard
Forum Follower

Tank Home Build

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Im building a 450 liter tank from 10mm glass, does anyone know if i need to have metal braces arond the top and bottom of the tank, or will the silicon adhisive hold on its own ? (i have a feeling it wont)

Anyway, i was planning to devote this tank to breeding these magnificent pleco, but apparently sourcing them is not the easiest of tasks, nor the cheapest. They've got some at Maiden Head Aquatics in about a 20 liter empty tank, looking rather sorry for themselfs, and the staff refusing to sell. Does anyone know a good place to find healthy L-046?

Thanks, Richard.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

It's my undestanding braces only really occur on tanks in Europe. Most American tanks as far as I'm aware don't have them.
They don't need ot be metal though, using the same glass as a brace would be fine.

As for whether your tank needs them, to an extent it depends on the dimensions so it's rather hard to say. Personally as a safety precaution I would put some on..but if you don't want to, then I would suggest filling the tank slowly over a few days and seeing what happens.

As for where to find them, here is a good place (it would help if you put your location in your profile though). Aquaristsclassifieds and ebay also have them from time to time...as for shops the only place I know that has any at the moment is Wildwoods in Crewes Hill. They're F1's and still quite small.

Plastic Mac
Last edited by Plastic Mac on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Plastic Mac wrote: They don't need ot be metal though, using the same glass as a brace would be fine.
Braces? what is it?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Braces are support bars which are either mounted running across the top of the tank or run along the inside top of the tank and add extra support.

As shown in plans here:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-It-Y ... k-diy1.php
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

ah.. thanks :)
Richard
Forum Follower

Post by Richard »

Ok, thanks thats great, ill use glass braces on the inside. :D I have put my location on my file im in Surrey, Wildwoods looks like a good option its not too far, but it could be a while till this tanks running so ill see then.

By the way i just found this website, fishfinder, which also said wildwoods had them.

Cheers, Richard.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Yeah unfortunately that place says wildwoods has them even when it doesn't. I'm not sure that site is ever updated lol...but at least it constantly states the shops which are most likely to have them in I guess.