Glass Replacement

Anything from making a cave, to building a fishroom, this is the place to post.
CRFish

Glass Replacement

Post by CRFish »

I have a 110H and the bottom needs to be replaced. Any suggestions. Thanks Curtis
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

whoa thats gonna be tough drain the tank take off all the glue every were nad then treat it like making a new tank
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Carson Passey

It isn't too bad but is it worth it?

Post by Carson Passey »

Before you read the rest, is it worth it? I had a nephew who was able to shatter a fully stocked 55 gallon tank sending a large piece of glass into his leg and a 6 inch sunami across the floor of the home. Doctors were able to repair his leg and the water was cleaned up, but the damage was far greater than the cost of a suitable stand. His stand broke and caused the crash. If you could repair the tank, would it be worthwhile and safe?

Your measurements have to be exact however.

On the bottom of the tank is a plastic binding piece. This piece of plastic literally holds the tank together. The silicone helps, but is mostly making a water tight seal and isn't strong enough to hold the tank together.

So, I ask you, can you remove the plastic binding on the bottom of the tank? If it is broken you can make a replacement from wood, but make sure the wood is sealed well or the water will make it decompose. The binding is glued to the bottom of the tank with silicon. This holds the tank together. You can take a thin putty knife and break the seal (don't twist the putty knife though or you will have a post about a fully broken tank). You will also have to do this on the bottom of the tank. Wear gloves, eye protection and work in an area where unfound glass will not make it into the bottom of someone's bare foot.

Next is to determine the proper glass thickness. You need to tell the glass shop the right thickness. It may be the safest but not the easiest to take the tank to a glass shop and have them repair it. Often a tank that size will use plate glass (1/4" thick) or laminated glass (even thicker!). You can measure the edge of the glass where the sides meet.

Measure the tank bottom glass. If this isn't possible because it is....say....broken, then Measure the width and sides of the tank itself. Often the bottom piece of glass will be 1/8" larger than the tank. This allows for a small bead of silicon to be applied to the outside of the tank for stability.

When putting the tank together, remember that the glass is simple to break. A small piece on the table can shatter your money.

It might be helpful to read a copy of Don Dewey's Book, "For What It's Worth" published by Tropical Fish Hobbist, now owned by Central Garden and Pet it is worth the investment in my opinion.