Filters for bare bottom tanks

Anything from making a cave, to building a fishroom, this is the place to post.
Fishnut2
Groupie

Filters for bare bottom tanks

Post by Fishnut2 »

I saw that there were no posts in this section...so I thought I'd give it a shot. These are my home made filters for bare bottom tanks. They are mechanical and biological filtration, and cost about $3 to make. The filter media (not shown) is red flint gravel...which is used by Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago, as well as the city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin - for thier drinking water. The filters are called pot filters, and are made of a round undergravel (made by Lee's)/ a pot (I use old margerine containers or a plastic milk jug cut down to size)/ and red flint gravel for the filter media. I've had a few of these filters the entire 37 years I've been keeping fish. Although I'm new to keeping plecos (except for bristlenose), I've had 24 zebra spawns in the last 12 months! I've also bred close to 100 species of cories...using these filters.
The pics show aerobic growth on the filter plate, and the pot itself. In a few tanks, I even have the same aerobic growth on the glass. My friends at Planet Catfish IDed the particular type of aerobic growth for me...but I'd have to look it up.
http://fishnut2.com/coppermine/albums/u ... 060003.JPG
http://fishnut2.com/coppermine/albums/u ... 110069.JPG
If you have any questions...ask away! I'm a breeder, not a scientist. So anticipate common sense answers.
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thats great!!! Do you happen to have any pics of the filter in use??? I am setting up a BB tank and this would be great to use!!! So basically the filer plate is attached to the pot and the gravel goes inside??? Do you use a pump to drive the water through???

Post by Guest »

Hi Jerms55555,
It's basically a round undergravel filter, that is contained in a pot. The gravel sits on top of the plate, and needs cleaning about once a month. (That will depend on how heavily you feed, and the amount of water changes) It'll hold 4-5 times the waste, that a sponge filter will hold. It does have infusoria on the top of the gravel...but a sponge filter would be better for fry (from an infusoria standpoint) due to it's larger surface area. It runs on air from a standard pump (or blower/compressor). When the air goes up the tube...it pushes water with it. That creates a current, which draws the dirt into the gravel (mechanical). At the same time, the air creates aerobic bacteria under the plate (biological) which breaks down the waste through the normal biological cycle. A tiny amount of methane gas gets released through the same tube that the air rises through.
I'll get some pics of the whole filter for you. It's hard to explain, but it's actually quite simple. A picture should explain a lot.

Post by Guest »

(Rob)
I'm not having log-in problems anymore! That last "guest" post was MY screw-up. :oops:
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Elo Fishnut welcome back dude :wink:
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net