jobbie MYSELF OR WOT!

The lights are dimmed, the fire is blazing in the big old fireplace, your favourite tunes are on in the background, and I'm just about to pour you a big glass of red!!! Let's settle down on the big old leather sofa and have a chat!!
Leigh Freeman
Forum Follower

jobbie MYSELF OR WOT!

Post by Leigh Freeman »

I purchased 8 Zera Pleco's (4 Male 4 Female) a week before the ban came into force and set up a breeding tank, in it I was running a Fluvel 4 internal for filteration and a powerhead with no medium just to circulate the water to give me a fast flow rate. On the eve of my wedding on 5th May I suffered a great tradedy when I found 2 of my Zebra's (1 Male 1 Female) sucked into the power head and had been mangalised. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse Monday mourning (25 July) I was awoken by my wife saying the fish tanks making a funny churning sound, I jumped up fearing the same had happened even though I had put a empty cannister filter on it. I uncovered the tank and to my wifes amazement I screamed wheres the water gone, I could not believe how much heart ache these fish had caused me. The tank had cracked accross the bottom and throughout the night the water had emptied out of the tank, as I inspected the crack in the tank to my amazement I found all 6 Zebra's skidding around on all but a wet tank bottom. I rushed up and down the stairs for the next five minutes transfering them into by tank where I was rearing my young Bristlenose. :shock:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi leigh,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent disaster. :( Luckily you managed to catch it in time and save the zebras.

Regarding the death of your other two zebras, I can't quite see how they managed to get sucked into the powerhead. Do you not have a strainer attached to the inlet of the powerhead?

Your tank may well have cracked across the bottom due to it not being placed on a totally level surface or it wasn't placed on a layer of polystyrene. It really is best to follow the manufacturer's guidance when setting up a tank so as to safeguard against this type of disaster.

Good luck with getting things sorted.

Regards.

Adam
Leigh Freeman
Forum Follower

Post by Leigh Freeman »

I went to the shop where I purchased the tank 11 months ago and demanded a full refund and compensation, they kitted me out with a Juwel Rio 180 and stand but explaned that due to thier policy other costs are not covered. :evil: However they have contacted Hagen about the claim and are giving me thier backing in the matter. :D

Now the Zebra's are in thier new home and have settled down nicely, so I think they're going make it. (touch wood) :D
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi

That is a really bad run of luck. Fingers crossed its just breeding success from now on.

With regards to the two dead plecs my guess would be that they died and were sucked into the powerhead. It is highly unlikely that a healthy plec would die in this manner.

Cheers
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi leigh,

I'm glad to hear that you have got things sorted and that the zebras are doing well in their new home. It's good to see that you will be pursuing the claim fo damages with Hagen. Providing the tank was setup in accordance with the manufacturer's guidance you stand a good chance of being compensated. An 11 month old tank should not be cracking unless there was already a defect with it before you bought it. You might want to mention that you have 184 fish keeping mates that will not be confident to buy Hagen tanks unless this matter is sorted out to your satisfaction. :wink:

Regards.

Adam
Leigh Freeman
Forum Follower

Thanks for the backing

Post by Leigh Freeman »

I'ts nice to see that so many people will get behind you in these disasterous times. Why can't the rest of the world be like us fish fanatics, insted of planting devices on trains and buses which kill people :!: .