Best laptop opinions required

The lights are dimmed, the fire is blazing in the big old fireplace, your favourite tunes are on in the background, and I'm just about to pour you a big glass of red!!! Let's settle down on the big old leather sofa and have a chat!!
Jo's Zebs

Best laptop opinions required

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi
My laptop is on its last legs so I will need to buy a new one soon, I have a HP Compaq right now and have had quite a few issues with the power supply and battery which is what it will die from it is qiute old as well so I want to stay clear of them for my next one. Only after a basic web use itunes that sort of thing, anyone recommend a good make?
Thanks
Jo
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
KnaveTO
Groupie

Post by KnaveTO »

I will let you know (from hard learned experience) that ITunes and Vista don not like each other. iTunes has a tendency to overwrite a certain drive (on my machine it was an optical drive). There is a fix so if you do get a machine with Vista on it, send me a PM and I will send you an email with the fix in it. As for machines I have always used compaq notebooks and never had an issue with them. In fact they have taken a nasty beating and still work well for me. Currently just got an Compaq Presario F700 and the machine works great.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

I've got a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Notebook and the graphics card just died on it after 2 years. Was sent for repair under warranty but the replacement card also died on testing at which point they realised there was a faulty batch :(

I finally got my repaired lappy back after 3 months :twisted:
sea7ray
Forum Follower

laptops

Post by sea7ray »

I sort of work in the industry (an ISP) and from my experience you'd have two contenders.
The first is a conventional one but a solid one IBM (Lenovo) thinkpad. They are solidly built, batteries seem to last and ive had few issues with mine (apparently one test they used to go through was dropping them from a 20 foot ladder....they still worked!)
The other is any Apple laptop. If could afford one id get one! My old house mate is a Mac geek and he never has any issues. Added to this the fact that apples are generally not subject to virus's, the software is generally more user friendly and there are plenty of add ons id get this (i know corydorasworld.com was actually written using an apple and the authour wouldnt go back)
Hope this helps!
Chris McNally
BSc Hons (freshwater biol)
vanillarum
Obsessed!!

Post by vanillarum »

My wife is a computer graphic design artist, and she just about sleeps with her laptop ! When she was hired at her company about 15 years ago, they used strictly PC s. She immediately got them to switch (well maybe not immediately, but her graphic design group went immediately to Macs). The rest of the company eventually followed. Now they all use and love Macs. My wife uses a mac laptop and loves it. We were raised on macs, and have no idea how to use a pc ! So, we would highly recommend a Mac !! Good luck.
John

Post by John »

I still work on a compaq evo, which never gave me any problems.
However the next one i am gonna buy will probably be a acer, i hear good reviews from friends and collegues.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Hi thank you all for your input it is helpful.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Hi Jo,

If it helps any our company uses the IBM Levonos and Dell laptops. They are reasonably priced and can be geared to your specifications. And KnoveTO is correct - Microsoft Vista has too many incompatibility problems with third party software like iTunes -- also, if you use Vista's document programs, i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and such -- the files are not backwards compatible (well they are, but you have to be computer savvy to know how to save it in the proper file format - I've experienced issues with it with press releases).

Macs are also great because they are very user friendly and the entire unit is very pleasing aesthetically.

I personally use an HP laptop but it's mainly geared for mobile gaming when I travel, so battery life on it is short because of the demands on the video capabilities.

Good luck with your selection! :)

- Angela