Chester Zoo

The lights are dimmed, the fire is blazing in the big old fireplace, your favourite tunes are on in the background, and I'm just about to pour you a big glass of red!!! Let's settle down on the big old leather sofa and have a chat!!
TomSharland
Groupie

Chester Zoo

Post by TomSharland »

I recently got invited to Chester Zoo, to see the 'behind the scenes' of the aquarium. The reason for the invite was to drop off some L046's, donated by Dave and he kindly asked me along. Obviously I jumped at the chance.

Well what can I say, what a fantastic place. The chap who showed us round (Colin) had a good chat with us about the aquarium and its future plans, he showed us some fish that are extinct in the wild, from Mexico, and some endangered Seahorses that the're managing to breed (fantastically well too).

Me, being me, went insearch of all the Plecs and Discus, and I wasnt let down. The Discus tank had some of the biggest Wild Turk's I'd ever seen
(easily 9" sl) along with some huge cardinal tetras.

Most of the fresh water tanks had a BN or two in, but not bog standard commons (I'm not actually sure what they were, possibly THIS).

Ideally I'd have liked to have stayed all day and help out (my ideal job) but we had to let the fellers get back to work.

So cheers Dave, and cheers to the people at Chester Zoo.

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

Wow :shock:

Nice one Tom, I would love to have been there as well :mrgreen: .

Dave told me about meeting Colin when I went over to collect my zebs off him in August.

I have been to Chester Zoo quite a few times over the last few years and always make a bee-line for the aquarium, they don't have a huge variety of fish and tanks there, but what they do have is top notch (a lot better than some other public aquaria I can think of :evil: ). Last time I went I did look out for Daves zebs in the discus tank but neither me nor the little one could see any 'Mr Stripeys' :(

For any one living in the area, I would say you have to go along and not just for the zebs, live bearers and sea horses, they also breed victorian happies (some of which are also extinct in the wild as well :cry: )

Al.C
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Just a small point here.

The majority of fish the Zoo normally have are not on display, and only having 2 old L46's, and now 8 juveniles, well they are not going to make that great a display. It is also there for the benefit of the fish.

The stocks at the Zoo are also fairly low at the moment as they are in the process of building a new aquarium. Making movement of the occupants simpler.

One interesting thing arose from the conversation with Colin, and that was when feeding fish he would prefer to use dry food when the fish would eat it.

The basis being that the vitamins are stabilised in this food, and we all know I think that vitamins rapidly degrade in fresh food.

Take care

Dave
TomSharland
Groupie

Re: Hi

Post by TomSharland »

dave wrote:Just a small point here.

2 old L46's, and now 8 juveniles, well they are not going to make that great a display.

Dave
I don't know Dave, I'd happily look at an empty tank knowing that there were some Zebs in there :D .

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors