Stealing fish? Lemme tell you a story...

The lights are dimmed, the fire is blazing in the big old fireplace, your favourite tunes are on in the background, and I'm just about to pour you a big glass of red!!! Let's settle down on the big old leather sofa and have a chat!!

What is your reaction to the above?

Total shock. I had no idea.
8%
Not surprising. People will steal anything.
54%
You live in Texas and no one stole fish by putting them in a 10 gallon cowboy hat?
8%
Shoplifters should pet the nice stonefish!
29%

Total votes: 24

Andyt.
Groupie

Stealing fish? Lemme tell you a story...

Post by Andyt. »

In eight years of working at various LFS's in Texas and Colorado, here are the some incidents where livestock was stolen:
  • 1. Thief comes in holding a fast food drink cup, XLG size. After thief leaves we realize all the seahorses had been stolen out of a show tank. Evidently the cup was empty and he filled it with saltwater from the tank. :evil:

2. Couple comes in with three kids (all must have been less than seven years old). Immediately the kids start destroying the store - chasing each other, knocking over displays. While we, staff, are busy chasing the kids, the parents take $1,800 worth of Discus. I'm still not quite sure how. :?:

3. Couple comes in. The woman is wearing a really, really thin blouse (read see-thru), short skirt and, well there is no polite way to put this, no underwear. While she puts on a show for the staff, bending over to see what is in the aquariums on the lowest row, the guy helps himself to at least $600 worth of corals out of open top reef system. :oops:

4. Woman comes in with large purse. After she leaves we notice a trail of drips to the front door and we are missing a sea anemone. :x

5. Guy walks in front door, walks straight to discus show tank, climbs on step stool to reach the top, grabs a net from the side of the tank (where we hung them on a peg), catches discus, puts discus in pocket and walks out to a waiting car. I was so stunned I didn't even try to stop him. Seriously, I saw what was happening, but my mind was saying: He can't really be doing what I think he's doing. :shock:
All of the above were one time incidents. Much more common was for a thief to follow a customer with a big fish purchase to the register. The thief pays for a bag of feeder guppies ($2.00), leaves the feeder guppies in the customer's pile of fish bags and walks out with something much more valuable the customer got - like a $75 torch coral or similar.

Despite all of this I still have faith in people; the vast majority are honest. Most people want to do the right thing. But the bad ones tend to be very memorable.
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Ju Jitsu Justice

Post by CDNAqua »

A rear naked choke seems to help curb Shoplifters... and if it don't.. after they wake up from the choke.. !
Perhaps play around with their limbs....arm bar, wrist lock, ankle/foot lock or whatever .... then break off what ever limb they stole with and beat them with it. :lol: This would of worked well for the guy you seen putting discus in his pocket..

I call it Ju Jitsu Justice :!:

peace

Troy
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Re: Ju Jitsu Justice

Post by chanettt »

CDNAqua wrote:A rear naked choke seems to help curb Shoplifters... and if it don't.. after they wake up from the choke.. !
Perhaps play around with their limbs....arm bar, wrist lock, ankle/foot lock or whatever .... then break off what ever limb they stole with and beat them with it. :lol: This would of worked well for the guy you seen putting discus in his pocket..

I call it Ju Jitsu Justice :!:

peace

Troy
watch out troy, they might use triangle lock in return if you are not very careful while you are attacking :lol:
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

funny i would just keep a taser in the drawer...
much more efficeint and perfectly legal (depending on where you live)
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Bob's buying me an english mastiff puppy for the store, lol. People always look at me in amazement when I talk about needing the cameras to keep down theft. Eventually I'll have a machine set up just to burn videos to dvd to use. I've had people steal fish in all sorts of things. The lady with a bag in her purse was one of my favorite. I watched her, let her get finished and start to leave THEN stopped her. She refused to open her purse, so I tipped it upside down :p.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Andyt.
Groupie

Post by Andyt. »

Barbie, you are so right about the dog!

One store I worked at the owner had a doberman named Nothing (yep, that was really his name!) who stayed behind the register. Things got stolen, but much less than at other stores. I was there when a customer started screaming at the owner about not getting a refund on something.

Nothing simply put his front paws on the counter and his growling muzzle less than a foot from the guy's face. The guy just turned pale white and left without saying a further word.

Nothing was a real sweetheart otherwise. A sucker for chin rubs and little kids. :D
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i have seen a jardini arowana stuffed into a $10 bottle of flakes and paid for
tmh0324
Groupie

Post by tmh0324 »

This world is crazy.... :shock:

Too complicated...
Just fall in love with zebra~~