Offensive ads at the top of Zebrapleco.com page (IMO)

The lights are dimmed, the fire is blazing in the big old fireplace, your favourite tunes are on in the background, and I'm just about to pour you a big glass of red!!! Let's settle down on the big old leather sofa and have a chat!!
INXS
Obsessed!!

Offensive ads at the top of Zebrapleco.com page (IMO)

Post by INXS »

I logged on today and noticed that there was an ad at the top advertizing "Quality imported african zebra hides".
The site sells animal furs, skins and trophies.

I understand that advertizing is a nesseccary evil to make things work financially but is there any way to cull the ads that IMO are totally against what this site and hobby is all about?

Is there a way you can avoid seeing them?

I just thought it was pretty bad especially with the recent baby seal slaughter for hides. Apparently Gucci is a big buyer of canadian baby seal skins.
Won't be buying any of their products...
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi INXS

Thanks for that. The ads at the Top RHS are Googleads, and for some reason it has associated "Hides and Slaughterhouses with the Keywords in our site. Probably because of the fact we have "Zebra" in our description.

The googleads on the top are actually contributing to Planetcatfish not ZP so I cannot remove them as this is an agreement I reached with them some time ago.

I will however have a look into googleads and see if we can restrict what is coming in.

I will also check with PC to see if they are getting the same thing. Thanks again for your observation.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Andyt.
Groupie

I hate ads like that too

Post by Andyt. »

I agree, that is very distasteful to me but I also understand the position Rob is in. It is funny what associations Google ads draws. I noticed on a different pleco board that there were a bunch of ads for companies that sold minerals and gemstones. Apparently the reoccurrance of the words "gold nugget" had caught the search engine's attention.
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Cheers Andyt

I have spoken to PC and we will see if there is anything we can do.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
khblock
Obsessed!!

Post by khblock »

I agree, that is very distasteful to me but I also understand the position Rob is in. It is funny what associations Google ads draws. I noticed on a different pleco board that there were a bunch of ads for companies that sold minerals and gemstones. Apparently the reoccurrance of the words "gold nugget" had caught the search engine's attention.
Ditto.

AI (artificial intelligence) isn't here yet and the search engine bots (spiders, crawlers or whatever you want to call them) can't target or distinguish between what is suitable and unsuitable. They can't tell the difference between a rock and a fish. Perhaps Google can take notice of dmoz.com (Open Directory Project) "Help build the largest human-edited directory of the web". Then websites can be correctly identified and targeted advertising is better utilized. Just think, advertising dollars would actually draw its targeted audience. Yeah, right, like Google is actually going to take a hint from anybody. I see this all the time. I'm a web site designer and I hear complaints all the time.

Well, the golden nugget situation works for me because I'm a fish hobbyist and a rock/mineral collector. :wink:
http://www.blockstyle.com
http://www.bestfriends.com
http://worldwildlifefund.org
http://www.oceanconservancy.org