Breeding behavior??

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
wu19
Groupie

Breeding behavior??

Post by wu19 »

I'm new to this guys. I have my 2 wild caught and 4 f1 for about a month now. I've noticed this week one of my wild caught has been twitching or doing jerking motions when any other zebras near the cave. Today I took pictures of my baby zebbys and did a water change. I left my house and came back and the 2 wild caughts are in one tube together. :0. My question is do males tend to be in one tube together? What is that jerking motion that one does when any of them get near him/her? What does this mean?
wu19
Groupie

Re: Breeding behavior??

Post by wu19 »

I put a flashlight to the cave and saw them together. Came back 20 minutes later they were in different caves.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

When a another zeb goes near another occupied cave be it another male or female, they will try to stop the other fish coming near by flicking their tail.
If it should be a female trying to get into the cave they will start hanging around the males cave & keep trying to get into the male agrees to let the female in, then if she is let in this is known as a trapping & the male needs to trap the female in the cave before a spawn can take place, trappings can last for days & the females can sometimes break free of the male with no spawn happening, but all of this are good signs.
Also as you ask males can end up in the same cave, which can lead to fighting & sometimes death as if this is happening there is always one dominant male known as an Alpha male.
Don't worry deaths are quite are rare but disputes can lead to scuffs & injuries, also females that have been trapped it is common for them to have scuffs on both sides were the male has held the female, but these soon heal up.
Fingers crossed you have a male & female. :D
wu19
Groupie

Post by wu19 »

Your expertise is much appreciated.... Thank you