OMG! They did it!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

OMG! They did it!

Post by zeberdy »

I have never been able to get the zebs to spawn till yesterday. The tank had quite a bit of algea in there so I decided to get some on my 1" bristlenose fry in there to clean it up. I went back in the room about an hour later and the male had the female locked in the cave. Curiousity got the better of me so I stood and watched and right before my eyes I saw the female laying the eggs :shock:

I have tryed everything to get them to spawn but this all seemed to happen after the bristlenose fry were introduced..could this have triggered them in some way?
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

not sure if the invation triggered them but well done and good luck bringing up the youngsters :wink:
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Congrats Zeberdy, let's hope it's a successful one. :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Re: OMG! They did it!

Post by McEve »

zeberdy wrote: Curiousity got the better of me so I stood and watched and right before my eyes I saw the female laying the eggs :shock:
That would have been amazing to watch! Congrats and crossing my fingers it will be a successful spawn!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Oh i must of over looked that part, you actually saw the eggs coming out WOW!! i cant wait to get some zeb let alone watch them come out!!

Did she look in pain and need a midwife!! hehe injections in her lower back and all that poor girl!!
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Shell231 wrote:
Did she look in pain and need a midwife!! hehe injections in her lower back and all that poor girl!!
No but my back was killing from bending down watchin :lol: g

It was amazing to see and the first time they did it too!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

How long have u had them altogether? what did you try and do to trigger them off, if at all?
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

I have had the males about a year and purchased them from Tom2600 (sorry Tom but you snooze you loose :lol: ). The female was one I had shipped in over 18 months ago and she was then about 2 and a half inches so maybe Rob could take a guess at her age?

I have tried all the tricks listed on Robs page and experimented with various cave sizes but no matter what they were not co-operating. This time the only thing I did was to put the bristlenoses. No water changes..no TDS changes..No temp drops..nothing :?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

it is funny, in reading all on these pages every seems to try too hard! i am only saying what i read really, must people seem to get a clutch when they leave them be, once all is just so leave them alone thats what i think i will do. I am sure Rob who has no doubt had more spawns in captivity than most people on this site out together, he must just leave them to it as he prob get busy with work ( sorry for the ramble i have no clue what the point of that was even! ) hehe sorry!
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

You may be right Shell as when i stopped mucking around with the temp drops and big water changes thats when they spawned, but it could be that they were thinking the rainy season was over and they could now spawn.

There is no right or wrong way it just takes a lot of experimenting and patience and they will surprise you 1 day.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Congrats Zeberdy

Thats fantastic news. It is sometimes just about tmaking the fish feel safe and confident.

At 2.5", I would say the fish are about 2.5 - 3 yeasr old, that sounds about right for them spawning. It would probably be quite a small clutch, but there is no reason why they shouldn't be fertile.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck once again.

rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Great news!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Diane,

Many congratulations!! Sounds like your efforts have been rewarded!

Any chance of a couple of young seeing as this spawn has orginated from one of my males!? :wink: :lol:

Its great to hear so many people are getting Zebras to spawn.

Cheers

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congratulations Zeberdy. :D

I hope that all's well with the spawn, you should have some wrigglers by now.

I too had my first spawn after I had stopped messing around with temp drops and large water changes. All I really do now is to lower the conductivity/TDS and that pretty much does the trick.

Regards.

Adam
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

is the TDS the GH , KH?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi shell,

Try this site from Seachem that explains hardness, alkalinity, and conductivity. How they relate. The explaination can be confusing so read carefully.

http://www.seachem.com/support/Articles ... nce02.html

Hope this helps.

Ken