possible 1st spawn

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Jo
Obsessed!!

possible 1st spawn

Post by Jo »

Im soooo excited ive just come in from work to find out my tank lights never came on so i switched on and pottered around for a while then went back to the tank and noticed 2 zebs in a cave (the one Rob gave me). They both look like rather young zebs compared to my other monsters.

Do u think the lights not coming on all day was a possible trigger? I was trying the 40% water changes and dropping the temp for a few weeks to no avail so thought i would just leave the tank and have not done a water change in 8 days.

Im probably jumping the gun but its the first sign ive had that i even have a female in there.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Jo,

Calm down and take some deep breaths. :lol:

I would say that the cave trapping is definitely a good sign. It may not necessarily result in a spawn but it is a step in the right direction. A couple of my males often have females in their caves for varying lengths of time. Generally the longer they are in the cave together the more likely they are to spawn.

The first spawn I had was by a male who was about half the size of the biggest males. Recently though the "big boys" have been seeing all the action.

I too have my lights off all day apart from a few hours in the evening, so long as the tank is getting some natural light there shouldn't be a problem. I do this mainly because my zebra tanks are not planted and if I left the lights on all day I would have a serious algae problem. The zebras seem to be more active with the lights off during the day and I often find them out and about. I also do not draw the curtains/pull the blinds in their rooms at night so that they can get some moonlight if there is any. I doubt that having your lights off would be a direct spawning trigger but letting them have a "natural day cycle" may help things along.

Good luck.

Adam
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

The female left the cave the day after with no eggs, but then 2 days later she went back in for another day and then left again, i think they must be just practicing.The female doesn't look ready as she is quite small and doesn't look like she has eggs.

I'm still well proud of them though as i now think its only a matter of time and conditioning for the female.

Ill keep you updated
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Jo

Sorry I missed this one.

Sounds like you have got it right then. This can continue for a few weeks as the male practices. It will be the female who is instigating this forcing herself into the cave. If she is too young, she may just be "trying out" the make as a suitable mate. Keep an eye onhere, and keep up the water changes.

Good luck

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I had a female that literally cohabitated for more than a month with the male before she finally ummm.... put out and got out! That spawn was fertile, also. I would definitely think you could be hopeful about future visits ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

My male is guarding some eggs i don't think there are many i have managed to spot 3, i think the eggs have been in there for about 6-7 days now. I am trying to keep calm and not get my hopes up as from what i've read the majority of 1st spawns are infertile.

This is the start of many spawns for them hopefully. :D :D :D

How long will it take if they do hatch before the male starts to come out and eat?? He has been acting like a pro looking after them - never leaving them and constantly fanning them.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

WHe-hey!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Nice one Jo! If he hasn't eaten them already, or kicked them out then things are looking promising. If they are 6 days old, then they should be hatching as we speak!!! keep an eye on the ground in front of the cave for any wrigglers, or stray eggs.

If you have a fry trap, give it a clean and keep it handy just incase. Oh and get the turkey baster out of the kitchen drawer just incase!

Congrats Jo!

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Cheers Rob and everyone for all the information, without this forum i dont think i would have even got close to breeding them.

I managed to get a sneaky peek with the torch today and looks like i have some wrigglers, i am still not able to count them as the male keeps hiding them. When is the best time to move them to the breeding trap? - should i wait until the egg sac has been consumed?
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Congrats!!!!!! Any pics??
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congrats Jo. :D

Job well done, I hope all goes well with the fry.

Adam
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

no pics yet i can hardly see them myself with a torch and i dont like to stress them out. When i put them in the trap probs about another week ill post up a few snaps of my first zebby babies. (hope they make it)
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Just wondering when i should remove the fry, should i wait until they have totally ate the egg sac or take them out just before?

They are starting to get their black markings now awwwwwww.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Jo,

Congrats.
If the babies have started to get their stripes, in my opinion ,they are ready to remove to a fry trap.
Good luck.

Des.
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Cheers Des, now for the hard part, how the hell do you get them out of the cave without destroying the cave??
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Would u always remove fry Des?