Rainy seasons

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Busta187

Rainy seasons

Post by Busta187 »

What do you have to do to create this.. Does it help trigger spawning to do this??

Also what's rough guideline for water parameters for a setup ??
TwoTankAmin

Re: Rainy seasons

Post by TwoTankAmin »

While pH is not a huge consideration for zebras, hardness, (or more appropriately TDS) is. In the wild they breed in response to the onset of the seasonal change from dry to rainy. This change is accompanied by certain significant changes in the water params. Zebras thrive on change :-)

Dry season: Water temps higher, flow lower, TDS higher, water dirtier, food less plentiful.

Onset of rainy season: Storms bring rains and storms also are accompanied by a noticeable drop in barometric pressure which the fish can definitely sense.

Rainy season: Water temps lower, flow stronger, TDS lower, water cleaner, food plentiful.

This is not to say that the only way to have them breed in captivity is to simulate the dry and rainy seasons. many folks have had results by simply ignoring the fish until one day nature just takes its course.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

I have to be honest...I took the later approach mentioned and just ignored the tank. Truthfully, I was trying to do a "dry season" and about 6 weeks into it of tank neglect, "poof"...they spawned.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
Busta187

Post by Busta187 »

I am buying a group of f2's would this be an easier group to try and make spawn? my theory is they are getting used to be breed in captivity and dont need as much encouragement :)

talk of the params what is an idea GH , TEMP ?

I am unsire what TDS is sorry ?
mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Post by mistern2005 »

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. It's a measure of water hardness. Nominally, I keep my TDS at 150ppm and the water at 87*F.

In the wild, during rainy seasons, the TDS drops with the influx of new freshwater. In dry seasons it increases as the pure water evaporates and leaves minerals (among other things) behind.

I am not sure if F2s will be easier to spawn in captivity. I'd imagine if they are given proper care, tank setup, and enough time they will spawn easily, just like their predecessors.
L046 Breeders - 2M/3F / Lots of other L046 subadults and juveniles.
Lots of L144 - LF/SF, M/F, you name it...
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am not so sure how much difference the generational distance from wild caught might make. Lets not forget that a certain amount of this stuff is built into the "hard wiring" of the fish. In order for them to breed in the wild, they need to be wired to work with the natural conditions. The whole process is "designed" to insure the species continues. Undoing such basic instincts/physical reactions which evolved over many millennium may not be so simple as going a few generations from wild caught fish.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Taken from another website:
I begun by feeding them heavily with very rich food for a whole month (be careful with the water changes). Then I began the following regime:

1st day: Normal temperature 28°C. Switch the heater off and let the temperature fall to 22°C over two days.
2nd day: No food / No wc - allow tank to drop to 22°C

3rd day: No food / No wc - let the temperature stay at 22°C
4th day: No food / No wc - let the temperature stay at 22°C
5th day: No food / No wc - let the temperature stay at 22°C
6th day: No food / No wc - let the temperature stay at 22°C
7th day: No food / No wc - let the temperature stay at 22°C
8th day: No food / No wc - let the temperature stay at 22°C

9th to 17th day : Raise 1°C/day until 30°C. Feed live food again, progressively more over time.

18th day: Water change of 50% with similar water (as explained above)

If the first spawn is sometimes difficult to obtain, a mature female will lay eggs, in good conditions, every four to five weeks. This information is crucial in your choice of population. Indeed, as the alpha male is the only one the females would choose, if you have more than 2 females, your male will soon be exhausted.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Busta187

Post by Busta187 »

Thanks guys very helpful.

Been looking around this site for a while now, surely there have been more than 5000 + recorded fry on this site alone. I have noticed everyone seems to have some fish about it somewhat large ammounts... my only issue is actually travelling the length of the country to get them :( .... Things we do for the love of the fish i guess

Are males easier to come across? as i see alot of them avalible.... but then my thought revert to.... no one wants to get rid of females as they are too valuable maybe ?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A few observations. Any male can fertilize an egg but only a fm can make an egg.

In a colony multiple males and females will spawn, not just the alphas. My record for simultaneous spawns was 3 from a group of 11 or 12.

Often the alpha male will not be the largest male.

The breeding area has been neglected for some time now in terms of recording spawns. I stopped submitting info after about 25 spawns and some 250 fry. My best guess is that to date I have managed to raise about 500 over a 6 year period. I still have 15 F1 adult size soon to spawn and another 35 assorted size fry growing out. The rest found their way to new homes.
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

I am yet again trying something new..... :wink:
I'm in FL and the rainy season is coming soon. I have 5 zebras in a 30g tank, only one male and one female old enough to spawn though. I am going to be doing a 5-10g water change with mostly RO water with each rain. I will be opening doors and windows to let in the barometric pressure change.... tossing in a few ice cubes too...... it may work, I figure its worth a shot!
Busta187

Post by Busta187 »

80% of what i seem to read is to just leave them alone....... but being as it is all new and exciting, we all try to force the issue. :D
I just cant wait for next year, mine will be old enough to be able to spawn and i can finally call myself a zeb breeder :D
Fern
Obsessed!!

Post by Fern »

99% of breeding them is patience and luck......