Yeahhh, my first spawn

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
BRIAN09
Groupie

Re: Yeahhh, my first spawn

Post by BRIAN09 »

Look like there going well nice And healthy :) just a quick question how long do you keep them in the breeding trap?
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Sorry, skipt a day... Here's day 9.

Champ-BKK

Post by Champ-BKK »

Congrat!!
I knew how much happy for the first spawn.
Gerhard

Post by Gerhard »

Must be great seeing these guys grow up from eggs :)
mikeyboy
Obsessed!!

Post by mikeyboy »

looking great . mine have been in trap for over a month will keep them there until new tank ready ! as i will not put them in adult tank
as i wish to keep feeding adults blood worm and as u know ,not a good idea to let little 1,s have blood worm . :idea: :)
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Thanks for the warning, I already heard it before :wink:

I keep al my fry within the breeding group until they are around 3 months old. By that time there will be to big and with to many to stay any longer. I find they grow much better and stay really healty, hardly any drop outs.
I will keep them longer in the trap than I've done with my other hypans just to be on the save side . I have had some difficulty with my L260 fry who didn't go and look for the food but liked it delivered right in front of their mouth. Sadly lost some fry while I was figuring out what was going wrong....
Luckily my lesson was learned before I had these beauties 8)
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Day 10.

Not going as fast now. Last bit of yolksack still visible.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Keep the photos coming they are great :)
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Today came the day that I've let them go into the breeding tank with the other zebra's. I've done this with all my hypancistrus and it works fine for me. I am going to feed them still with powder feed until they start eating with the others and finding their way in the big tank.

Here the last picture's from the trap

Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Aww they are gorgous and like your kids going to school for the first day letting them out the trap :luw:
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Joby wrote:Aww they are gorgous and like your kids going to school for the first day letting them out the trap :luw:
Yeah you're right! It's pretty nerveracking to let them go but it is better for them :happy:
Hope to see some new baby's soon :wink:
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

The male has gone in his lazy mode again :| He's not in any cave, not interested in the big female witch is quite gravid again. Even not interested in the new young female who keeps on lying in his former cave also heavy gravid.
There are 2 more males in this group, one large older male and one young male. The older male keeps to his cave but never seems to get the attention of the females. He lies up side down on his back most of the time :roll: The young male hasn't got his own cave yet....

The trigger seemed to be adding new zebra's to the tank last time but I'm not planning on putting more and more zebs in there just to make him go in his cave and give the ladies some attention :P

Has some one else got a lazy male just like mine? What to you do to trigger him??
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
My male is like that always the female doing the running my advice is to do as you are,leave them alone and change nothing. :wink:

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Jacqueline

Excelletn thread and fantastic picures.

If this si his first spawn then there is a chance he may wait a while until his next. He has done it once so teh chnaces are he will do ti again, more often than not there doesn;t need to be a reason. Take note when you do your water changes etc to see if there is any correlation etc, but other than that just keep your fingers crossed :-)

Happy days :-)

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Jacqueline
Groupie

Post by Jacqueline »

Unbelievable :|
I've been working on my tanks for the last 5 days. Tank by tank I've moved the fish and divided the tank into sections with glass panels.
My zebra's haven't been breeding for the past 7 weeks or so. Didn't look like they would either. So yesterday I moved them as last ones and worked on their tank. Sadly I found out that only one of my very first two fry made it :? The surviving one looks absolutely fine tho :D
I decided to separate the group into 3. One big male and a young heavy gravid and willing female, my breeding pair together with a younger female and a group of juveniles with one young adult male. Put them for 24 hours into a already completed tank and move them the next day into their new quarters. That was the plan :o

Until I found my breeding male sitting on eggs again this morning :yahooscream:

The first trigger was adding new tank mates, the second trigger was completely disturb all calmness and move house :lol: Absolutely amazing :loldude:
There's no powerhead, just 2 caves and a flat stone on top and some gravel. Very basic because it wasn't the plan to leave them there!

Hoping all goes well :D