First Spawn

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
jerry58
Obsessed!!

First Spawn

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
My fish spawned the other day there was 6 eggs in total that had been kicked out the cave 3 eggs had been damaged 2 of which was wrigglers the other just an egg
the other 3 seemed ok. I removed them and put them in a breeder box in same tank by the morning 2 more had died this left 1 which is doing well and looks healthy.
Just would like to know when I do water change what sort of temperature changes can the fry tolerate normal temp of tank is maintained at 30 and drops to about 27 during a normal water change.There seems to be some more activity going on and i am thinking of doing a larger water change as I did before that started them off the first time and this drops the temp down to around 24ish will this harm the fry as it is in the same tank or do I have to wait till it is bigger.
I have added a pic
Thanks in advance for any input. jerry
RAYISKING
Groupie

Post by RAYISKING »

One try to do a water change that is about the same temp
Two your eggs might have died because they were not fertizled or there was no air getting to them the male fans the eggs and if you take them out they still need to be fanned
jerry58
Obsessed!!

FIRST SPAWN

Post by jerry58 »

HI
Not sure if I made myself clear or not what I would like to know is can the fry at say 4 weeks old able to tolerate a drop in temperature of about 24 from 30 or would I have to take it out while simulating the rainy season.Has anybody
done this before.The only lone fry that is left is doing well and healthy at the moment. 8)

Thanks Jerry
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Just wondered if someone experienced could give me an opinion as to the appearance of this fry,seems healthy and eating well (first bites) is it ok.

Thanks Jerry
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

Looks just fine. You might wanna provide him a hiding place. a piece of driftwood or a slate rock will be fine. He looks very charming! :D
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Thanks for that TWINSPOTS_GOBY I was not sure if it was looking a bit snubnose or not,can you tell at this stage and thanks for the info have put small piece of wood for it to hide under.

Thanks Jerry
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Normally zebras spawn seasonally and once they start they will go at it for a while. Then they will stop for a number of months before resuming again. Hopefully, it should not be necessary to do another cold water change etc.

Mine have always stopped and started on their own for the most part.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

jerry58 wrote:Hi
Thanks for that TWINSPOTS_GOBY I was not sure if it was looking a bit snubnose or not,can you tell at this stage and thanks for the info have put small piece of wood for it to hide under.

Thanks Jerry
I looks fine to me. It might be the angle of your picture taken.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Here is a couple of pics about the day before if it helps any comments.

Thanks Jerry
Irene0100
Forum Follower

Post by Irene0100 »

congrats on spawning anyway, first spawns are often difficult or fail because parents are inexperienced. so hopefully they will get it right next time. if you so any water change, warm some of the water in kettle and mix in a bucket to right temp before adding. I think the parents will spawn again without temp changes, just good clean water helps.
whether fry is snub nose, I think you will have to wait a few weeks and see what shape he grows. good luck.
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi thanks for the tips will wait and see how it goes on the fry and no more water changes to lower temp in tank. So it is valentines day (might help)I will leave them to it. :wink:

Big thanks Jerry