Advice Please: When to remove eggs from Male as he eats them

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Advice Please: When to remove eggs from Male as he eats them

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Hi all,

My alpha male in my secondary tank now in the last 2 pawns eats all the eggs.

Last month I was over the moon as he had eggs, but after 1 week in the cave all eggs were gone, they were fertile as I could see them move and had tails and eyes. I put this down to inexperience.

But Last Monday, the female was in there again and laid a nice clutch of eggs. Yesterday, I counted approx 13 eggs moving around, but went in this morning and there was none. The tank is bare bottom and I have had a good look around and stripped the filters down, but just no sign of eggs, he must of eaten them again. Theres only 2 females and 1 male in this tank.

I have got to the stage now, I am going to remove the eggs from him as this must be stressful on him and her, nevermind me.

At what stage is it safe to remove the eggs. How many days do you wait once the female has left the cave to remove the fry to a hatcher / fry trap.

I would love to leave the fry with the adult and let him gain experience, but I think this just won't happen, so it's my turn to play daddy zebbie.

Any advice on when you remove your fry is appreciated.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

hey dude,

i had the exact same problem, i gave mine 5 spawns to learn but he still ate the fry and or kicked them out too early and i lost all but 1....

anyway now i take the eggs off dad as soon as they have been laid, put them in an egg tumbler (i bought mine here: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-EGG-TUMBLERS-NEW- ... dZViewItem)

it works a treat :lol:
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

So, the minute the female has left the cave in the morning, you remove the eggs, I have tried this, but lost them to fungus. But hopefully the egg tumbler will solve this.

Is something that is home-made or is it a commercial product, would it be easy to make one of these tumblers.