ive done it

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
civicr
Obsessed!!

ive done it

Post by civicr »

well after 3years of owning zebs ive finally become a zeb breeder i had a spawn of 9 free swiming fry but currently there 6 left.

i had this spawn a near 2months ago now i just kept quiet about this as i no the survival rate aint that good with the 1st few spawns, but there fine now growing well and zipping about.

also i took the dad out with the fry to look after them and just last week i put the male bk in the main tank and looks like i may have another spawn taken place as he trapped the femlae for a few days and let her go no hes faning about but cnt see eggs as the caves just the right size for him.and blocks the cave fingers crossed

also what are my fry if the dads a f1 and the female is a wild

ryan
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

well done mate good going fingers crossed on the next spawn
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Well F0 + F1 might = F1.5? :P
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Congratulations, don't it feel good :yahooscream:
civicr
Obsessed!!

l

Post by civicr »

yes it does after years of thinking it will never happen and out of the blue it did,

and since the male has been seperated from the femlae for almost 2months he went bk in the tank and a few days later he was with her must be love fingers crossed again,its hard wrk bring you young zebs there on every 2ed day water change at the min.there black spots are now turing into lines yay!
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

A big congratulations.

Patience is very rewarding.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

F1 = Wild caught

So breeding WC with F1's will produce F1's.

If you collected one brood from the wild and bred them you would get F2's.

If you breed unrelated F1's you will get F1's.

I know many people use the F system to indicate generation, IMO this originates from people misunderstanding the F system.

If anybody can point me in the direction of where the F system indicates generation, then I'll happily stand corrected.

Take care

Dave
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Congrats on the little ones and fingers crossed there's more :)
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

A bit off topic and thread stealing but anyone properly explain the F system i.e F1 and F2's etc, what does the F stand for and is there any documentation around, see this mentioned alot of the times on breeding forums but thought it was too silly a question to ask.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Oooops a quick search on google revealed this:
The "F system" is used to show how many generations down from wild caught a fish is. An F0 fish is wild caught, as 0 shows there is no relation. Anything further than F3 is simply considered tank raised, as it will begin to lose characteristics fish from the wild have. (Such as a red devils large lips to extract crustaceans from under rocks.)
2 F0 parents will produce F1 fry, every spawn until they die. It is a common misconception that a wild caught pair (F0) will produce F1 fry their first spawn, F2 fry their second spawn, and so on. ALL fry are F1.
For your understanding:
F0 x F0 = F1
F1 x F1 = F2
F2 x F2 = F3
and so on....

But now the question emerges: What do you get when you breed an F0 with an F1 or F2? What do you you get when breed an F1 with an F2?
In my opinion, the fry should be 1 "F-number" higher than the highest "F number" parent.

Therefore:
F0 x F1 = F2
F0 x F2 = F3
F1 x F2 = F3
John

Post by John »

Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

Thank you for the link John.

From what I read here, it does equate to a generation.

But lets put things into context.

This could apply to Guppys traits of which you may see in 2 that you want to develop, this may be some 40 or 50 generations from the wild caught, but for the purpose of genetics and controlled breeding all off spring would be F1's and breed the sons and daughters (meaning of filial) you would get F2's.

The advantage of dealing with L46, is that there are plenty of F1's being spread around the hobby at the moment, their genetic integrity being the same as a wild caught, the same result would occur if two unrelated F1's were crossed.

Lets say I made an error in saying WC = F1 in the context of L46 at the moment, but I see no difference.

Taking the example you have given, and what I believe that it could equate to, F2's could be either 1 or 100 generations removed from the wild type.

Take care

Dave
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Well done Ryan well worth the wait. :D :D :D
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk