unexpected L066 KT Spawn

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
st24rsap
Forum Follower

unexpected L066 KT Spawn

Post by st24rsap »

unexpectedly had a spawn last week from my king tigers, total shock but am over the moon :D

Heres dad in the cave fanning the eggs, hes only 3.5" total length as was the female so didnt even think they were mature yet

the fry started to hatch today
John

Post by John »

Congrats and nice pics :)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
civicr
Obsessed!!

l

Post by civicr »

well done great pics
:)
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Great pics, congrats on the spawn :)
Zebedee
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebedee »

looking good nice one
cols
Forum Follower

Post by cols »

do you have any more pics of the fry??

Also could you describe your setup? I'm looking to get some KT's soon so need all the help i can get :)

Thanks
craig
Forum Follower

Post by craig »

well done, you must be proud :clap: :clap:
"Hail" "Hail"
st24rsap
Forum Follower

Post by st24rsap »

heres the fry at about a week old

i have 12 in the group rangeing from 3.5" to 5.5" total length, the ones that bred were 3.5 - 4" so wasnt expecting it.

the tank is 250L with 1 cave per fish, lots of slate for them to hide under and some bogwood. The slate and caves are all in the center of the tank with a 4" gap all the way around the tank for the flow to get around. i have 2 eheim 2224 filters running so loads of filtration, the inlets and outlets are positioned in the far right corner of the tank with the flow directed anti clockwise around the outside of the tank. i also have a bubble wand positioned along the back of the tank so there is lots of oxygen in there, also have a power head in the front left corner of the tank with 1200L per hour flow across the front of the tank so the total flow in the tank is massive, well over 2000l per hour in a 250l tank

all caves are positioned so they are angled slightly towards the flow so the current from the filters and power heads goes into the entrance of every cave. Ammonia & nitrite are zero, nitrate is as low as possible. 40% cold water changes once a week unless i see a male has a female trapped in his cave, at this point i will do an additional 20% change to try and spur them on.

they are fed well on sinking wafers, tetra prime, earthworm sticks and some fresh vedge now and then. lights are left off all the time, only light they get is daylight from the window in the room.

thats about it, guess im lucky to have bred them at such a small size but in my opinion the tank set up is most important thing for spawning them

hope that helps.
pureplecs
Groupie

Post by pureplecs »

:D Very sweet! Great pictures and a good job!! Congratulations. 8)
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I wonder what other fish have white color eggs beside zebras.
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

They look great :)
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

What size are your caves for the L066, are they the same as for a zebra?
st24rsap
Forum Follower

Post by st24rsap »

I_Need_Zebras wrote:What size are your caves for the L066, are they the same as for a zebra?
i have several different size caves for my L066. 40mm wide x 30mm high & 35mm wide x 25mm high are the sizes of the caves they tend to spawn in. i make smaller caves for my zebs 30mm wide x 20mm tall

heres a rescent pic of the king tiger set up

top left cave has the alpha male in with a clutch of eggs. bottom middle cave currently has a female trapped by a male in it
L No's wanted!!! Pm me if you have any

L046
L134
Brengun
Groupie

Post by Brengun »

I am never really sure how long to make the caves. Too long and you won't even see a tail sticking out and too short the eggs might get kicked out. Whats a good rule of thumb lenght for L066?
st24rsap
Forum Follower

Post by st24rsap »

Brengun wrote:I am never really sure how long to make the caves. Too long and you won't even see a tail sticking out and too short the eggs might get kicked out. Whats a good rule of thumb lenght for L066?
my breeding fish are between 4.5 - 5" total length, the caves are 120mm long so a small section of there tail is out the cave.

i dont know what others use but i have sucess every 3 weeks or less breeding mine :)
L No's wanted!!! Pm me if you have any

L046
L134