4 spawns, all lost or infertile - help

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

4 spawns, all lost or infertile - help

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

My zebs are breeding and laying eggs every 4 weeks, to date that I know of I have had 3 spawns, the first two the eggs were licked out about a week after laying all white.

This time, I took the eggs out after 3 days of hatching and they are crystal clear with nothing inside them, 1 week later they are turning white.

I presume these are not fertile, so unsure if its down to inexperience or I have an infertile male / female.

Can anyone advise.
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Sorry not had any experience of spawning but I wanted to commiserate with you and hope someone can come up with any ideas :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Early spawnings can have this result. The young zebras just can't get it quite right at first, but this usually doesn't last too long. When they spawn young they also tend to have a smaller number of eggs.

Do you know how old your fish are and what size are they?
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

fish are about 6 years old, 3" - 3.5" in size, both wild caught or so I am led to believe and produce around 13 - 19 eggs per spawn.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

That is certainly both large and old enough as well as a big enough egg count to indicate they should be having more success. If they continue to have unfertile spawns, I would start to believe that one or both is infertile, unless they have spawned successfully for a previous owner.
twinspots_goby
Obsessed!!

Post by twinspots_goby »

I realize that water condition sometime plays an important role to lead infertile eggs. What is the temp and ph of your water? any fungus in your water?
L46 x 24 adults + 60 fries
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I think if the params were OK for them to spawn, they are also likely to be OK for the eggs. But then I have never had an infertile zebra spawn so I could be wrong.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

every 4 weeks for a pair is quite a turnover.... especially with approx 15 eggs each time.... is there any way you could seperate them for a few extra weeks and see what happens then?
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
civicr
Obsessed!!

l

Post by civicr »

still never seen any pics of your zebs and you seem to hav loads :|

lets see the set up and breeding pair