do zebras eat their own eggs??

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
eeeeemo
Forum Follower

do zebras eat their own eggs??

Post by eeeeemo »

hi last mth i had a spawn... and i was careless to keep shining a torch in. the next day.. all the eggs were gone... any similar experiences??
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have been shining a "torch" into my caves twice a day since day one. I have had about 40 spawns to date and not once have they been eaten by the dad.

Non viable eggs will vanish however.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Some do and some don't. If you think that your actions are the contributing factor. Then start shining at least once a week so that they get used to it. That way, they won't be spooked when you do that.
ladyinthewater

Post by ladyinthewater »

Hello:

In my past experience, that also happened to me. My zebras had eggs, and I kept shining my flash light, and one day all the eggs were gone. Either the male was too stressed out and afraid and eat the eggs for their own protection or the eggs were no good and he ate them. I know its a very exciting time for us and the zebras, but PLEASE try your best now to shine the light so much and give them their privacy. Just like humans, everyone needs their own private time alone. Good luck on your next spawn and wish you the best.
Logistics

Post by Logistics »

Quite simply the answer is yes. They do eat their own, especially when not fed enough as well. I would do my best to leave them alone. I have had 30-35 successful spawns to date and if you MUST look in their I would try using a Surefire A2 Aviator LED flashlight with the RED or BLUE LED head. Red is good for night vision and does NOT bother the fish nearly as much as a standard light would. Surefire flashlights ARE expensive but this is much less stressful on the fish and they are cool too!

I have a cloth veil over my spawning tanks and try to give them lots of privacy (especially when they are possibly going to breed) and I also have it there to alleviate stress when I am cleaning other tanks and doing what not around them. Also I have all of the tanks mounted in a closet and I simply close the doors on them so as to give total privacy.

But back to your first question. They do and WILL eat their own. I would honestly attribute this more to underfeeding and not stress (from your shining the light). They do inherently want to breed successfully and protect their own. Look for white poo that is unlike anything they would generally leave behind. That is an easy sign.

I hope this helps somewhat and can help you make sense of some things.

good luck with you and your hobby.

regards

~L