My Zeb's Breeding!!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Poshpleco
Groupie

My Zeb's Breeding!!

Post by Poshpleco »

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on to tell anyone about my success with my Zeb's since they started breeding in October. I thought I would come on and give you a run down on what is happening so far.

In my adult tank I have 9 Zebs. In October I had 2 spawns at around the same time in the same tank. Since then I have had 2 spawns every month.

On Saturday I took a male out of the main tank and put it in my Juvi tank which also holds a 2 1/2 inch female Zeb, since yesterday he has had her trapped in the cave. Which hopefully means that I have another breeding pair. I count myself lucky with how much luck I have had with my Zebs!!

Thanks Tracey
A Few Zebs!
davo
Groupie

Post by davo »

Congrats
nice to read more & more people are breeding these guys,
keep up the good work, and don't forget to take some snaps :)
John

Post by John »

Congrats, and baby pics are allways nice :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

2 spawns a month - thats good going - my alpha pair spawn every 8-9 weeks.

Our beta pair normally followed suit a few days later - but haven spawned since I set up their own tank :(
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Poshpleco
Groupie

Post by Poshpleco »

davo wrote:Congrats
nice to read more & more people are breeding these guys,
keep up the good work, and don't forget to take some snaps :)
Hello again, yours and Johns wish is my command!

Here is my main tank set up, Alpha male is in the cave on the front right, alpha female on the bottom shelf and the betta female in the top one. She is a bit beaten up after spawning with him this month.

The 2 females.

Here are the 2 in the juvi tank, she came out of the cave this morning. I will have to wait and see if I have any eggs in there with him.

Here is a picture of the betta females fry i have in the adult tank at the moment, I don't think it will be long before I have some more from the Alpha female either!

Now for the grow out Tank.

Hope these are ok for you.

Thanks Tracey.
A Few Zebs!
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Thats a lot of little zebs since October! looks like you've got a great group there.

The tanks are very clean - what's the trick to keeping the bottom so clear?
no matter how hard I try I always have some stuff on the bottom :(

That last pic is a great idea to provide them with lots of cover :) :)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
John

Post by John »

Great pics Poshpleco 8) tnx
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
andyj
Groupie

Post by andyj »

Congrats on the succesful spawns :D

Loving the idea for the slate/pebbles in the last picture.... as smithrc has said, a great way opf providing them all with lots of cover ;)
andyj
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

Thanks for the photo. I like the multi round rock cave idea on your last 2 pics too. It's giving me a lot of ideas. Do you have problems with anything getting stuck in your big multi cave?
Poshpleco
Groupie

Post by Poshpleco »

Hi Smithrc,

In answer to your question, The tanks are very clean - what's the trick to keeping the bottom so clear?

All i do is vacuum them everyday with a battery vac, I do have alot of current in the adult tank so most of the time it all gets sucked up with the little 1200ltr/hr internal filter plus the 1200ltr/hr external filter. I have only scrubbed the grow out tank once so far, that one stays pretty clean. It is a 60ltr tank with a 1200ltr/hr external on. I have just started another grow out tank now so I just have to wait for it too cycle.

Hi Zebrapl3co,

In answer to your question, Do you have problems with anything getting stuck in your big multi cave?

It actually has a removable top, plus there are gaps in the pebbles at the back of it so the current just flows through. I haven't had any problems with anything getting stuck so far.

Thanks for your comments.
A Few Zebs!
civicr
Obsessed!!

zeb

Post by civicr »

great pics and lovley looking zebs they all have there own stripe pattern .wish i had my zebs breeding like yours.

well done :)
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Some great looking fry & pics, well done.:wink:
Poshpleco
Groupie

Post by Poshpleco »

Hiya, just an update on the 2 in my juvi tank, the male is fanning his little butt off at the moment so I will have to wait and see if the spawn is going to be viable, I will let you know as soon as I know for sure.

Thanks for all of your comments

Tracey.
A Few Zebs!
Poshpleco
Groupie

Post by Poshpleco »

Hiya, just another update on my Zebs, The male in the juvi tank is still fanning and like I said I did think my Alpha female wouldn't be long before she spawned. She is now trapped in the cave with the alpha male at the moment. I will update with pictures when they all come out of the cave.

Thanks Tracey.
A Few Zebs!
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

well done posh! lovley tank set ups! :lol:
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257