Wrigglers in cave !!!!!!!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Got hold of the the plant at the weekend, but as yet have not done anything with it.

The little fella emerged from the cave yesterday morning :D

But when i got home from work i was panicking for 30 mins stripping the tank as i couldn't find him, i thought he had been sucked up by a filter but thankfully found him hiding under the old juwel fiter box.

This is now in the bin.

Gave dad a couple of days rest & moved him back to the main tank tonight, if they spawn again i would leave the fry with dad in the main tank as he certainly knows what he is doing.

I was just panicking before when he had kicked fry out, just my inexperience. :)
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Noticed my little fry had lost his colour tonight, thought i would move him into a breeding trap in the same tank to see if i could feed him brine shrimp to perk him up, but he doesn't look good acting oddly like the fry i lost about 2 weeks ago.

Water parameters & temp are all ok, nitrate 25 ppm still did a 30-40 % wc to see if this would help.

Can anyone help i know it doesn't look good for him :sos:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry to hear that Stevie :( You're right, it doesnt look good if he's lost his colors and act funny. He might have been damaged by Nitrates already, before you got it down. 25 is still a bit high... He might also have been stressed by being moved to a different tank.

I don't have any good advice that will guarantee to save him, I hope somebody else might be able to help out.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Not good news, the little fella died later on Fri night. :cry:
Gutted to lose him.

It has certainly been a roller coster these last 3 weeks with my zebs.

Hope this does not happen again in the future, i do seem to struggle getting the nitrate below 25ppl as my tap water is about 35ppl, i am testing the plant Gugge recommended in another tank at the moment so hopefully this will help in the future with my zebs.
sam
Obsessed!!

Post by sam »

:( Sorry to hear of your loss hope it all goes well next time
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry to hear that :( let us know your experience with the plant! I'm also testing it.
kingfisher
Site Admin

Post by kingfisher »

Sorry to hear that Stevie. Don't give up. Many people here have gone through frustrating periods of their zebra-breeding and finally found a way to succeed, and you will too. We will help you.
[url=http://www.alpakka.org][i]Alpacas FTW![/i][/url]
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Thanks everyone for your support, i won't give up on my zebs i will try harder to get it right if there is a next time.There so fasinating.

I didn't think 5 months ago i would have got this far, so thanks for all the advice & help i needed. :)
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Zebras doing well, eggs laid on Saturday & i now have maybe 8 wrigglers in the cave. :D

Nitrate levels which seamed to be my problem last time are down to 15 ppm, thanks to Gugge's recommendation of the Devil's Ivy plant & the purchase of a new ro unit.

I have been doing daily water changes over the last few weeks & shall carry on trying to get the nitrates even lower.

Going to leave dad & babies in the main tank this time, fingers crossed :pray:
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Update on spawn.

All going well found around 14 babys out in my main tank at 15 days old :shock: on Sunday. I didn't expect them to come out until about 18 days.

Decided to move the fry & dad in cave into a 60 litre tank as he still had a couple of fry still in with him, caught all but 2 luckily they were easy to catch just by lifting the object out they were stuck too!

This had been my plan to move them so they didn't have to compete for food & to keep the tank cleaner.

Fry 19 days old since they were laid all doing well, nitrates are down to 12 ppm.

Have been feeding microworms since Sunday just in case but couldn't really tell if they have been eating these.

Most of the fry went back to dad when i moved them, just waiting for them to emerge.Fingers crossed all goes well :D
bonsai
Obsessed!!

Post by bonsai »

Hi Stevie K, I'm REALLY pleased the dad has got it right this time! Just let them find their own way round, I'm sure that they'll be fine. :wink: And keep up the water changes as Eve suggested!
These are beautiful little babes!
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Proud parents & 6 week old fry

Post by Stevie.K »

First picture i've managed to share of the parents.

Fry pics to follow when i found out how to attach more than 1!
John

Post by John »

What did you do with the pic? it's only viewable as thumbnail...
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

Don't know John :roll: i went on photobucket to resize the image, couldn't find the link on how to send it to a website, so saved it back to my computer & posted it on here, yes i did notice it was a thumnail but didn't know what i had done :oops:

Spent ages trying to sort it out any help out there guys???

I can post some fry pics then, i have 22 fry 7 week old fry i reckon i must have had 2 females spawn at the same time?

Found the reason the fry had come out at 14 days was because i had another spawn which i didn't realize until i found some deformed fry & wrigglers kicked out of the cave, 1 survived now 5 weeks old. :)
John

Post by John »

You don't have to resize the pic to post it, just post the original as you posted the thumb.
If you want to add more pics in one post just repeat the proces of adding.

Good luck :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]