??

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
du ma
Obsessed!!

??

Post by du ma »

i have the same female trying to get inside one of the male's cave but the male wouldnt let it in. i move things around just a bit while changing water and few hours later, the same female is always around the same male and every now and then it tries to get inside the cave. is this some kind of good sign?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Are you sure he doesn't already have eggs he's guarding? That's usually a sign in my tanks that she already spawned. Here's hoping! If not, be patient, he'll let her in soon :)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

i cant really see anything inside, its too dark. lets just hope that im on the right track
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Du ma

Has the male recently had a spawn, i.e within the last month or so? If so, and he is in experienced he may just be showing signs that he is not hyet reayd for a spawn. Alternatively he may just me inexperienced full stop. With new males, it tends to be the female that initiates the spawning process, by enticing the male out, then barging her way in. Try feeding then at night to entice the male out of the cave a little more. The chances are that if you can find some way of letting the female in there she may spawn.

Good luck

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I suspected that my male had headache for quite som time now (whoever heard of such a thing as a man with a headache though :P ), but I found the reason why he wouldn't let the girls in the other day. He had a fry in there :)

Now there's three girls hanging outside his cave trying to sneak in there :D
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Isn't that just the female way, once you are unavailable, they won't leave you alone :wink: :)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

nothing strange with that - if a man is available there's got to be something wrong with him, since no other woman has grabbed him :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Must admit, never really had a problem with ladies beating down my door much as I would have liked it. Mind you I had a problem with a temp a while ago, I wouldn't have minded except it was a bloke :shock: :shock: .
My Mrs thought it was hilarious but I couldn't see the funny side. :evil:

Anyway back to zebras, I always thought that it was the male that made the first move and not the female. I guess this is even more reason to have more females than males. Perhaps more females will spur the male into action.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: My Mrs thought it was hilarious but I couldn't see the funny side. :evil:

Neither can I!! :evil:

(*giggle* :lol: )

Adam wrote: Anyway back to zebras, I always thought that it was the male that made the first move and not the female. I guess this is even more reason to have more females than males. Perhaps more females will spur the male into action.
I think they do best in groups. It seems to me that the spawns comes in waves, first one, and when that's finished, the next lady is ready. Maybe they release som feromones or other signaling substance that spurs the others on?
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Adam wrote: Anyway back to zebras, I always thought that it was the male that made the first move and not the female. I guess this is even more reason to have more females than males. Perhaps more females will spur the male into action.
21st Century fish these Zebras by the way :!:
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
fishboy20
Groupie

Post by fishboy20 »

I had the same problem, the female wanted to spawn but I don't think the male was that interested. Eventually she had it her way and they spawned. Now to raise the fry.