Alfa male stoles cave (Now with pictures)

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Artic circle
Groupie

Alfa male stoles cave (Now with pictures)

Post by Artic circle »

Hi all,

My beta male spawned with my alfa female, after one night the alfa male stole beta male's cave and eggs. Have anybody had same kind of situation? Is it possible that alfa male continues tending? That was my worst case scenario and it happend :(
Last edited by Artic circle on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

No answers, but i know it now.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

I had a strange situation with the recent spawning too. The third female went in the cave of the Alpha male, and he chucked her out. She then went in the cave of the beta male and he blocked her out. She ended up in the cave of the third male, who let her in.

They were locked in for two days and eventually the third male got out, leaving her in. She stayed in, the Alpha male went in and got out a day later. The third male returned and they spawned.

I moved the cave with the dad in a breeding tank and put another cave in the same place. The second female (Cleopatra) got in and the first male, Caesar, left his cave, went there and locked her in. They spawned.

Does that make sense?
Lucy
Groupie

Post by Lucy »

Artic circle wrote:No answers, but i know it now.
So what happened? Did he tend the eggs or throw them out?

Lucy <><
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Yes he did continue :D he throw four babies out, i picked them up but only one of these survived. Alfa male is still in the cave and there is ~15 youngster with "spare" dad.
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

There was 12 youngsters in the cave and alfa male has new spawn and youngsters in the cave. This is my third spawn in this year. First spawn 11 youngsters, second 12 and now male is tending new spawn :D
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Here's couple of pictures, there is 29 youngster born this year.

discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Fantastic! So jealous! Keep up the good work! 8)
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Last night they have done it again :) beta male is tending eggs.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This is fantastic! I'm sorry I missed this thread.

i've never heard of an alpha taking over eggs fertilized by a beta male before :shock: Are you sure it was't the alphas eggs?

Weird :D
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

This is fantastic! I'm sorry I missed this thread.

i've never heard of an alpha taking over eggs fertilized by a beta male before Are you sure it was't the alphas eggs?

Weird
Yes i'm sure, beta male and the eggs was in the cave in the evening, when i checked in the morning alfa male was taken the beta males place, but alfa male continue to tending eggs :)

Now beta male is in the cave and tends eggs, hope that he can continue it till the end this time. Both alfa and beta male has learned to take care of eggs so i don't have to do anything, only wait.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

learn something new about these fish every day :) it's against what's normal in nature, but they are special in many ways aren't they.

Congrats and well done on a fantastic result this year! :D
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

learn something new about these fish every day it's against what's normal in nature, but they are special in many ways aren't they.

Congrats and well done on a fantastic result this year!
It happened again, alfa male has taken the beta males cave and the eggs :shock: , he is lazy bastard :D , hope that alfa male continues tending again. Maybe i have to split aqurium next time, so the beta male can do he's job.
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Cave is now empty, alfa male has moved to another cave. I don't found any fry, eggs or egg shells :( can they move eggs to another cave?
Artic circle
Groupie

Post by Artic circle »

Hi all!

After my last post i had 4 spawns, 2 of them didn't get any results, third spawn give 7 healthy babys and the latest is spawned saturday. It was my beta male and "alfa" female again, this time i have dealed aquarium so the lazy bastard (alfamale) can't overtake cave where the eggs are.

This years result is 36 babys, hope that this new spawn goes right :)

Sorry my bad English :oops: