And They've Done It!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

n00dl3 wrote:Raul congrats on your 2nd spawn. Good luck with them.

Just a question, How do you drop TDS in a tank and what is a good test kit?
For the initial spawn, I used straight tap water. The TDS reached 520ppm because I stopped doing water changes (dry season) and partial laziness. :oops: Then I did a large water change with tap water to bring it down to 330ppm, they only spawned after I added a pinch of GH booster, which is what I did the second time.

Test kit for TDS? There are none, I have a meter that I got off of eBay for $25; it has automatic temp. compensation and is only 2% off.

As for my GH, I use a LaMotte test kit (top of the line) and KH I use Salifert (just below LaMotte in accuracy). pH is measured with a handheld meter with an accuracy of 0.01+/-.

While were on the subject, this is what I found lying on the subtrate when I got back from school-
Image[/img]
Last edited by Raul-7 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Congratulations Raul,

Sorry I missed the topic first time around... How are you getting on?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

madmoroccan wrote:Congratulations Raul,

Sorry I missed the topic first time around... How are you getting on?
Pretty good actually!

Curiosity got the best of me and since the cave he was using had a removable top - I decided to take a look at what goes on inside. To my surprise I found 5 little Zebras inside; this brings my total to 6. Don't worry I didn't disturb him that much, put the top back on and it was like nothing happened. :oops:

Here's the little guy as of yesterday:
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

That's a great picture... Well done!
You deserve some luck.

I don't think it will be very long before you see some more activity from the adults... I have faith that in the next 3-6 weeks there will be more eggs. Fingers crossed.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]
zebra46

Post by zebra46 »

it's amazing!!
Congrats...and the little guy so cute indeed
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Well after going on a break for 4 months (the last one on the other thread was a false alarm), I got them to do it again by letting the temperature to 76F after preforming a water change. Then the week after I did another water change and reset the temperature back to 84F and by the same week the male got back in the mood. Today they finally hatched and I managed to get a couple of good photos (well good by my standards).

If you look underneath his left pectoral fin you can see little white wrigglers.

Sorry the quality, I have yet to learn how to use the manual focus to get 'real' macro shots. :oops:
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

Raul....great pics. first photos that I have seen where fry,eggs & parent in the same cave! Thats awsome! Is that the normal? If not it looks like you have great parents!
Ken
John

Post by John »

Great pics Raul 8)
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Lifted193 wrote:Raul....great pics. first photos that I have seen where fry,eggs & parent in the same cave! Thats awsome! Is that the normal?
It's not uncommon.

Congrats Raul! :D