I think I have my first L46 spawn!!!

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

I think I have my first L46 spawn!!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Well this story is unbelieveable, yesterday I finally got my first colony from Curtis (aka LyreTail). I wake up today to do a head-count and make sure everyone if settling in and there's one missing. I look in their usual hiding places and then there's a thought at the back of my head saying she just might be in the cave, I take out my LED light and take a quick peek and there she is, inside with my original male (the bigger one I showed everyone a few months back)! It hasn't even been 24 hours yet! :D :lol:

I think the change of environment, water conditions, etc. must have set it off and the water change I did after they settled in sealed the deal.

Now I'm wondering if this is going to be a mock-spawn or the real-deal?

I really want to thank LyreTail for giving me this oppurtunity! :D
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Wow... that is awesome if you ya first spawn within 24 hours of getting the zebs. Congrats....
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Hope it works out for you.

On that L173 L46 thing, I have 3 wild L46's and I know a guy I got them off has 10 others, that are different from anything else I've got, short finned.

I have wild caught from 6 different suppliers, and there are significant differences, hence I think the isolation causes this.

Also when they breed, the usual type comes out, I guess through a dominant gene.

Just a thought

Dave
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Congrats Raul! I've heard similar stories before, and believe, as you yourself, that it is the change in enviroment. The female might have thought the rainy season was over ;)

That said, I've heard of other breeding groups that stops breeding when moved too, so who knows what they are thinking :lol:
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I guess it was just was a false alarm, about 14 hours later she leaves without laying a single egg. :( Maybe he was giving her a tour of his cave.

Will she be back anytime soon?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

If she was in there that long, she'll definitely go back in. Patience grasshoppa ;). It may take them a bit, but they'll figure it out. She might just need to make sure she didn't miss finding some cuter boy in the surrounding areas first. It's a good sign, although not the one you were hoping for, I'm sure ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Well the drama continues! There is a threesome unfolding before my very eyes. Not sure if they are all males, but I fear the worst might happen.

First, what I suspect was a female went zooming into the male's cave and he reluctantly let her into the back of his cave - all the action seemed to attract another suitor. At first he was having second thoughts (waiting at the entrance) and then decided it was time he got some of the action. He went in and there seems to be some tail wagging, the original male always seems very close to evicting the entruder yet somehow he unwillingly forces himself back in. I'm not even sure if the first Zebra that went was actually a female.

I really hope no deaths result. Should I intervene if it lasts too long?
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Hi Raul

If there is lots of tail wagging yes, I have found when the fish are mating it is fairly passive.

Watch out for a fish being beaten up, I have only ever had one instance of this the fish recovered.

Also care should be taken when introducing adult males that are unfamiliar with each other a pecking order has to be established.

Good luck

Dave
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

This is rather odd; I believe the two that were in the alpha's cave were actually males. I think it was a battle for hierarchy as the smallest one (who was inside for the 1st night) is a definite male and moved into the second cave. While the larger one, who came in the second day, has lost some stripes and is now hiding in his own corner. I guess he made it out third in the battle and is left with only the driftwood.

However, there are definitely two females out of the colony (both behind the alpha's cave) and one is constantly trying to make her way to his cave but never actually reaches the entrance.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

raul, any luck with them yet?
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

n00dl3 wrote:raul, any luck with them yet?
Yep, right here: http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2291