Watch this space...

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Watch this space...

Post by Mindy »

My alpha male has been in hiding again for the last two days. He has never done this without it producing eggs and/or young. I am going to try and resist disturbing him with light this time and see what happens. I've had a few glances but see nothing, but then I rarely do. So I'll just leave him be and see what comes of it. But I'm hopeful for a good result. This will be my fourth spawn now. Clever little fishes... :P

I can't really say specifically what I've done (if I've done anything) to bring this spawn on (presuming that there is one), but what I will say is that during this hot weather we've had, I've had to really keep up with evaporation especially as I've left the lid slightly open to allow some heat to escape. I also had a mystery fry death of one of the more recent babies, but it was at that age where fry seem to just die for whatever reason, so I wasn't TOO worried about it. All the same, I did a good tank clean and a series of water changes, using just room temperature water. I also tried to add a bucket of cold/room temp water every time we had a thunderstorm, just in case that had any effect. Whatever I've done, or not done, I think they've spawned again. Certainly looks hopeful... Watch this space! :wink:
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

I have my fingers crossed for you Mindy :wink: My spawning was achieved by means unknown to myself :roll:
QueenDustBunny
Forum Follower

Good Luck

Post by QueenDustBunny »

I hope you are able to see some little zebs in your tank soon. I know it will brighten any day to see them.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Fantastic news! Congratulations! :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I had to add some more water today (due to evaporation) and dad backed up to the front of his cave for a moment to see what was going on. I had a quick look then and saw loads of eggs. Hooray! :D
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Way to go :lol:

Dont you just love having to struggle just to get even a glimpse of what dad is or isn't hiding :p
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Aw that is fantastic news! Good old nosey dad eh? LMAO!
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Wahoo!!

Congrats :)
blueblue
Obsessed!!

Post by blueblue »

congratulations!! Looking forward to seeing the free swimming babies!! :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I had a look in the cave last night. Dad backed up to the opening when I put their food in. So I quickly shone a light in to see. He darted back in and tried to cover the back of the cave, but I still managed to see that the entire back of the cave is plastered in babies!!!! :D I have no idea how many there are but it is the biggest spawn yet for my tank! Hoorah!!!!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Congratulations Mindy! Happy for you! :D And of course looking forward to the pictures!