Is this possible?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
TwoTankAmin

Is this possible?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have had 2 males spawning in two dif caves for a while now. One male is on fry from his second spawn. I just did a cave check and was very surprised to see two plecos in that cave. Is it possible that there is spawning going on with the previous and barely free swimming fry still in there?

On another note- when I did the water change and vac last weekend, I did a minor rearranging of the caves. The result was on Tuesday night I noticed a 3rd zebra had taken up residence in a moved cave. It has been in there ever since. Today when I did the morning cave check it was plastered against the back of the cave and acted like it was hiding/protecting something. So it looks possible that I have a 3rd male with eggs.

This all really blows me away as I am just moving up the zebra pleco learning curve and instead of having to go through trial and error and suffer failures, I am having a textbook set of results.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

An already spawning colony puts you way ahead of the curve TTA ;). Congrats on your good luck! You've probably got a female behind a male trying to get past to spawn while he's got fry, but it's not unheard of to have males that will let females in to spawn again. The problem with this is that sometimes those females will kill or kick out fry that aren't their own. Keep an eye on the tank. Also, if you can, try to track which fish are doing what so you can add to the data pool about how often your females are spawning and if they have definite preferences for certain males and what not ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

How can three males spawn in the same aquarium - how big is your aquarium and are the males seperated somehow?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I've had 2 L260 spawn in one 40 gallon breeder. It's not unheard of, it's just not common. The fact that he has a third fish inhabiting a cave doesn't mean he'll have a spawn in it. Females are known to try to encourage a spawn by hanging out in caves also, hoping a male happens by.

Barbie
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Raul- the tank is a 30 breeder and holds a total of 13 zebras. They were purchased as a breeding colony and were spawing soon after I got them into the tank.

So far I have had 3 batches of fry from two different males. They seem to be about a week to 10 days apart. The male who now has comapny in his cave was tending his secod batch of fry which were just about or at free swimming stage. Today there is a second pleco in the cave and I am assuming it is a female. She has been in there all day so far. I am unable to see well enough to know if the fry are still in there with them or not.

Barbie has been mentoring me through this all and she has recommended that for now I not remove fry for growing out in another tank.
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Congratulations TTA,
I'm glad they are behaving pretty much as described.

I am thinking that the one who has had 2 spawns and was trying to breed again was the original alpha male, he was not the best father but I hope you have resolved that or that he has watched the others and learned.

There should be at least 4 males capable of spawning in the group - I am pretty sure there was 3 spawning several times and at least 2 others that made attempts.

Funny thing was that the largest zebra of them all never engaged in spawning.
I guess I better keep up the gym if I want to get another date :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Good to see you again INXS :D

So what you're saying is that it isn't unusual for several males to spawn at the same time in the same tank?

About the bigger isn't always best, I've noticed that with my Zebras as well.
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Thanks McEve.
I don't know if it's usual but I know that the colony in question it is not unusual for.

I have always been a proponent for keeping larger colonies (10+ fish) to get them to breed and keep breeding on regular basis. I think breaking up a spawning group into pairs or trios would be a mistake as I think it may actually induce other fish in the colony to spawn if there is one spawning pair.

As for the size I think the smallest tank which can comfortably house the fish will put them in contact with eachother and get them to spawn much like the crowding during dry season in the wild when the fish migrate and large numbers are found together in the same area.
Just my 2 cents.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

In case folks have not figured it out, the colony I purchased came from INXS.

INXS- the largest one must have figured it out cause he is one of the males that have now each spawned 3 times. Right now fatty is guarding almost free or free swimmers while the second spawner is on eggs.

I need to procur some more slate caves as these are the only ones in which spawning occurs. I have notice up to two others hanging inother caves but there is never any spawning going on. I think they may need slate caves which a lady, who shall remain nameless, has promised to send me two for some time now.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Email me your address and I'll try to get them out this week TTA. I've had a houseful of company and a runaway teenager to deal with so I've been a wee bit pressed for time. I didn't forget you.

I also don't think adding caves is going to do anything to get more spawns. The dominant males get the best caves, period. They will also be the ones that are attractive to the females, so they'll get preference. Adding more caves can potentially give the females somewhere else to hide from the males, if they should want to. Your current set up isn't broke, sooo.... :p

I KNOW there's always the fixit mentality but you're getting fry regularly the way things are. I haven't steered you wrong yet, have I? :lol:

Barbie
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Nope Barb you sure haven't. The thing is the other caves are nothing at all like the slate ones. The pottery ones are much more roomier. I can't see how swapping out some clay ones for more slate ones can't hurt.

I just have this feeling that adding slate might get another set of breeding going on. I am greedy :twisted: