Cave trapping with pic

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Cave trapping with pic

Post by nesolb »

Hi everyone, hope you've all had a good Christmas and New Year. I've been away from the forum for a little while with work commitments and what not so I won't bore you with the details.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a 6x2x2 tank to house some more Tropheus I'm breeding but I decided that the location for the tank was better suited to the Zebra's. I made the switch about a month ago, which was made more difficult since I'd managed to have a spawn in the existing tank, and everything went fine; although I wasn't happy with the decor. I decided, about 2 weeks ago, to change the decor around and to my suprise I interupted a cave trapping - d'oh!!! (called myself stupid for a little while).

I went to feed the zebbies yesterday and I noticed that the only male to have taken up a cave residence didn't come to the front of the cave as usual. I wipped out the digital camera and took the following pic:

I've checked again today and he still has her trapped in there. One question I have though is - What is the turn around time for zebra's that spawn back to back?

I ask this cos I have Tropheus spawning back to back every 4 - 6 weeks, they carry for 3 - 4 weeks, and their turn around time (interest in spawning again) seems to be 2 weeks. I'm only asking cos when I interupted the cave trapping when I moved the decor it's 2 weeks to the day that the male now has a female trapped. Is there something in this or is it just a coincidence.

I'll keep you posted on the trapping, fingers crossed it'll be a success.
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

male can breed every week while a female has a 4-5 week turn around, good luck
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Thats interesting to know!

People have had spawns taking place while fry still in cave as well i think i read somewhere on here
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

Shell,
I have never witnissed that event, because I would remove the fry 7 days later, the earliest is 5 days this is the normal amount of time they start hatching but lately I just leave everything eggs and fry and some manage to survive.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Thanks for the info zebra046.

I've checked the males cave again today and the female has gone. The male appears to be guarding some eggs but I couldn't see clearly enough so I can't be sure. I don't want to pester him too much so I'll just keep a watchful, but not overbaring, eye on him. He's showing the same characteristics as the males from my first spawn so I'm confident he is guarding :D
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Well the little fella was guarding, I think I saw about 3 eggs/wrigglers at one point but I can't be sure.

Anyhow, last weekend by the time I checked again he'd kicked them all out. :( I was lucky enough to catch one of them, being the only one that was actually in view; I assume the others were thrown round the tank with the current, and I put it in a fry trap. I kept checking on the little wriggler and was gobsmacked to find the fry trap being thrown round the tank, f'king suction cups kept failing. :x Well, you guessed it, the little wriggler didn't make it and I was left extremely pissed off.

Do you think there's any chance the other wrigglers that were kicked out made it?