cave size

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
dave
Obsessed!!

cave size

Post by dave »

hi guys

well i'm on my second brood now, 9. the first brood was 1, well one that appeared in the tank, who knows if i lost any in the filters.

anyway cave size, i had 24 built of different sizes, 6"x2"x1.5.", 6"x1.5"x1", 3"x2"x1.5" and 3"x1.5"x1".

i seem to have 2 alpha males in a colony of 11 wild fish, the size of the cave they use is 6"x1.5"x1", ignore the other sizes. hope this may be of help to somebody.

Dave

[/list][/list]
alga
Groupie

Post by alga »

Mine like the ones I make that are 1.5 inches wide, 1 inch tall and 5 inches deep. Very similar to the ones yours also prefer.

Congrats on the spawns- :D
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

The slate ones I make are 1.4 inch wide opening (3.5 cm) by 1 inch ( 2.5 cm) tall opening by about 5+ inches deep ( 14 cm) Several people have reported spawning in them already and I have only been making them for 6 months. I am glad you posted this information as it validates the dimensions others have determined to be ideal although many people have had spawnings for several years with slightly shorter caves at 11.5 cm long ( a little over 4.5 inches)

I am looking into designing a ceramic version out of stoneware and finished with a non toxic splattered glaze of flat natural earth tones. This should give me a little freedom to round the corners more and finish the entryway in a very attractive look. I am working on some models now, but I have to take into a 10% shrink rate on the model and another 10% shrink rate from mold to finished cave. I am glad I took the time for some education on ceramics since there seems to be many factors to consider

So far my investigation into making the ceramic version leads me to believe there will be little savings to me in materials and Firing cost, but there may be a considerable labor savings that can allow me to lower the price. The key will be to make them at least as or more attractive than the natural slate tile caves. One downfall is the drying time of the clay. I have to wait several weeks from casting to the first firing. This means that I will have to stock up on drying caves and fired caves in order to keep a rotation going

If there are any ideas or desires for caves, I sure would like to hear them and see if I can implement some of these ideas and wants into my new ceramic art designs. I intend to make several versions including, Bushynose, Zebra, Apistogramma and Krib pots. I have already heard from a few people through PMs with great ideas