Violence during spawning?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Violence during spawning?

Post by Shell231 »

I have noticed my female is very very beaten up is this normal for them to be voilent during spawning? and will see come out of the cave alive?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Is she out of the cave?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

No, but she is still alive i see she moving ( i had to check i was worried ) there is a few of her stripes sort of missing looks weird? is this a common thing during spawning and a few patches like bite marks on here top/side area and also a few red marks poor cow really getting a beating. :cry:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How do you know all this if she hasen't been out of the cave...? Anyways, spawning *can* be very taxing on the female, and the male as well. I remember my male didn't have any stripes at all after his forst spawn.

That said, keep an eue on them, just in case you're not witnessing a spawn, but a male trapped by another male. Maybe a male that has eggs, but isn't the alpha? I've been away for the last week, so haven't kept up with all the happenings, but read somewhere that you had egg in a cave?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I have eggs in this cave BUT my female is still in there i can see in thats how i know she is all beaten up, all of the other males are accounted for so i know it isn't 2 males in there just a wee bit worried she might get really badly injured. :(
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How long has she been in there then?
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

i feel quite lucky, my female goes in, does the business and gets out pretty fast
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net