Unbelieveable - 1st spawn

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Thanks for the info. The little wriggler is doing just fine, sorry about the pic problem but just to give you an idea it looks identical to the little fella on the banner at the top of the page.

I'm using an Interpet breeding trap with the spray bar so no problems with jagged edges or flow issues.

I was very suprised to have had a second spawn too, I hope it wasn't the last either!! :) I'm of the same opinion as Adam in one of his earlier posts that two spawns or more likely in a larger tank. I do think my set-up played a part in it too but I'm sure we'll find out in future whether I get two spawns again.

Fishboy - I think they were roughly 18mths - 2 years old when I got them. I'm basing this on the sizes of some babies Rob was selling earlier this year. In all honesty I'm not really experienced enough to answer when I think you can expect them to spawn, mine I believe was a rarity at this age. I would think you'd be safe in the knowledge that they'll be showing an interest when they're 2 - 3 years old and if it does happen sooner then it's a bonus.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Pissed off today, got home from work and the little fella has died; steep learning curve isn't it. :cry:

I'm pretty much clueless as to why but the only thing I could think of was stress. It was in the fry trap without any cover cos I hadn't had time to get a little piece of bogwood.

Any idea what might have caused it?
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

It may have felt exposed with nothing to hide under :(

I'm sorry for your lost. *hugs*
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sorry to hear that you lost the fry Nesolb. :cry:

It's hard to say why the fry died, generally speaking they do alright in a fry trap even as wrigglers. I have rescued many escapees from the main tank that have then been raised in a fry trap with no problems. I guess that the fry had something wrong with it because I can't see that you did anything wrong. Providing some form of cover does help them feel more secure but they don't die without it.

It is indeed a steep learning curve but you are well on your way. :wink:

Adam
Last edited by Adam on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Thanks for the sympathies. I keep thinking it's something i've done or not done that caused it to die.

The only thing I could think of was stress but then I guess there could have been something wrong with it, hopefully I'll have more success with the next batch.