Dad's left his cave but...

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Dad's left his cave but...

Post by Mindy »

The male who has just spawned seems to have left his cave and gone to another one. He's left his wrigglers behind.

What should I do? :shock: Will he return?

The two that I have put in the breeder trap have now hatched. The other one is wriggling free as we speak.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How log has he been gone from the cave? If it's his first attempt at raising fry he's already done a remarkable job, fertilizing them and looking after them this far. Maybe he doesn't know what to do now that they move... who knows what goes on in a males mind :roll: :lol:

If he doesn't return within an hour I would take the wrigglers and put them in the fry trap together with the other two. He'll do better next time! But for now, the critical stage when it comes to artificial raising is passed, so they should be alright!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Mindy, you have no choice but to take the remaining wrigglers that the absent male has left in his former cave. I would assume that he is not going to return and even if he does it looks like he has lost interest in them and may well do them some harm. As McEve has said he has has done a remarkable job for his first spawn, most first spawns end up being eaten.
McEve wrote:who knows what goes on in a males mind :roll: :lol:
Hey McEve, have you been talking to my wife :?: :lol: :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: Hey McEve, have you been talking to my wife :?: :lol: :lol:
hmmm... Now that you mention it... should I? :lol:

I just figured out what might have happened to the male. He saw X numbers of bottoms up in the air, and thought "bums up in the air=diapers=I'm outta here!!" :lol:

I think you probably already has taken the fry by now Mindy? They will do alright as they're hatched so try not to worry, and look at it as an accomplishment that he managed to get them this far. I suspect he'll have another clutch of eggs in his fav cave very shortly again ;) And when that happens he'll do even better I'm sure!
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve wrote:I just figured out what might have happened to the male. He saw X numbers of bottoms up in the air, and thought "bums up in the air=diapers=I'm outta here!!" :lol:
Now I know you've definitely been talking to the wifey. :lol:

Taking fry at the wriggler stage should not pose any problems, I prefer to take them from the male at this stage so as to maximise the brood size and safeguard against any mishaps. The problem is knowing exactly when to take them as not all the eggs hatch at the same time and you could end up taking some unhatched eggs. If at all possible only wrigglers should be taken as it appears that the male assits in the hatching process. As you say McEve he should get better with each spawn.

Adam
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Thanks guys. I had to dash out earlier but just came back and dad is still in another cave. I will put the rest of the little dudes in the breeder with the others.

Incidentally Adam, both wrigglers in the breeder hatched on their own. Though whether the dad did anything to them in the days previous is anyone's guess.

I am sooooooooo glad you guys are here to help me! xxx
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I've moved the wrigglers into the breeder. There are now five altogether. And one egg that looks a little floppy. Don't know what's going on there, but I will watch it and remove it if it doesn't look very lively.

Now here's the weird thing, I had to pop out to the shop (yes the LFS :lol: ) and when I came back, two of them had escaped the breeder and were in the tank. :shock: I've syphoned those naughty wrigglers back into their little breeder, but I wonder, how did they get out? Can they squish their yolk sacs through the little slits on the side? I can't imagine how else they could have escaped!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Some of mine did that. They hitch a ride with the current caused by the airstone :D

One or to flips with the tail, and they're up high enough to get to the bubbles and off they go, nifty little houdinis they are :lol:

Oh, and I'd keep a very close eye on the egg that don't look good. Actually if it doesn't look good it probably isn't, and I would either put in it's own breeder, hoping against hope that it was good, or .... be cruel to it and toss it..... I'd vote for the first option though! If it does get fungus you could be in trouble!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

That egg looked mushy to me so I've already syphoned it out.

After numerous escapes, and chasing the little buggers around tank with the syphon tube (my goodness they're fast for one day olds!! :lol: ), I have now changed the breeder trap they're in for one with smaller holes. They all seemed to be staying put. It's a smaller trap and is under the outflow of the spray bar. There are two and a bit streams going in there so I'm going to risk that is enough circulation and oxygen. It's a pretty good current. I think the airstone would make holding this trap in place too difficult because it just floats. The other one was anchored.

Anyway, I hope the little dudes haven't been too traumatised by repeated syphonings :oops: They're all cuddled up together except for one that seems to be a loner (probably the one that kept escaping - he's thinking up his next plan to abscond no doubt...) It's been a very exciting first day in the world for them. And me too for that matter!!

They seem to already have the instinct to hide under something. Would it be too risky to put a little something in there for them to get under? A sliver of bogwood maybe? Or would that risk infection? I just wonder if it would help their chances if they felt a little more secure... What do you think?
Last edited by Mindy on Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I always kept a piece of cocnutshell in there with them to hide udner. Just make sure there's no sharp edges.

I'm sure opinions on this will vary though
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I think I will give them a little something to hide under. They have a natural instinct to hide, and I feel that should be catered to for their own sense of security and wellbeing. I have the lights off in the tank so at least they are in shade for now.

They all seemed to have survived yesterday's ordeal and are still resident in their new breeder trap - no escapees! The little tinkers... :lol:

They are so funny to watch, zooming all over the breeder. I can't believe how fast they move already!!

Dad is already posing in front of the caves again and when I went in this morning, there was a female stuck to the side near the entrance... Hmmm... Surely not...

Now here's a funny observation... for what it's worth. There are three caves in my tank. Dad usually has one of them (though he changes caves regularly) and the others are occupied by at least one big female and I don't know if the other one is male or female, hard to tell when they're in the cave. Anyway, when dad spawned, all other caves were abandoned and the zebras lived elsewhere in the tank - under logs, slate, etc. The whole time dad was in the cave with his spawn, no other caves were occupied. But the minute dad leaves the spawn cave and I empty it out, the other zebras have re-occupied the caves. I wonder if this is just coincidence or if this indicative of some kind of behavioural pattern?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I keep a small piece of driftwood and some java moss in with my fry. I've actually even been considering having the condos built with black acrylic bottoms, so they don't feel like they're hanging out in the open. Java moss will potentially be adding little rotifers and what not for them to graze on, also. I don't think it can hurt anything at least ;).

The only times I have females using caves is if they are trying to get a male in there with them. It does happen, but the funny thing is that the female of mine that does it occasionally has still not spawned with my male, that I know of. It is possible she was one of the three "quickie" spawns where they were in and out and there were eggs before I even knew they were up to something! As to the surely not so soon part, my male was on spawns almost constantly for that first 3 months after he figured out what it was all about. Typical boys I tell ya! :roll: :lol:

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Java Moss... now there's a good idea. I have a bunch of either Java or Christmas moss in a tank downstairs. I also have a moss ball in my apisto tank. That will be chock full of goodies I'm sure! And both of these things are light enough that it won't sink the breeder. Thanks. Brilliant idea! :D