Introducing new Zebs

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
UKCHRIS
Forum Follower

Introducing new Zebs

Post by UKCHRIS »

Hi All,

Can anyone help advise me on this one. If I introduce new Zebs (male and/or female) into a tank where there is good spawning happening, could this stop/pause it, whilst the hierarchy is re-sorted out with the new male etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Blackcat
Forum Follower

Re: Introducing new Zebs

Post by Blackcat »

I haven't bred any Zebs (sorry, but I thought I would give an opinion).

But my understanding from having them and introducing new fish to my group over the years:

1) Adult Male, re-establish of male hierarchy. Fighting till it is settled
2) Adult Female, re-establish of female hierarchy. Fighting amoungst females to mate with Alpha Male
3) Juv, no effect.

(1) & (2) may delay or change spawning patterns. But I'm guessing there is no certainity that it will not change. If the fish introduced is established as an Alpha it depends on the fish introduced then.

I've just started getting trappings for about over a month now. The Alpha male has established itself (total of 17 fish, taken like the whole of the middle of the tank so everyone is shunted to the second floor or the sides) and territory with females hanging around.

I don't intend on changing anything.

So if it isn't broke, I guess don't fix it.

Is there any reason why you may introduce another just out of interest?
UKCHRIS
Forum Follower

Post by UKCHRIS »

Thanks Blackcat.

I guess I ask as its the obsessive in me, I want to add more - and get enough adults to spin off a second tank of spawners.

Looks like my Alpha is back in his cave with a 3rd spawn - my 4th since I had them a few months ago! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Im thinking its best to just keep it as is now, lots of babies in there as well so dont want to upset things.
Blackcat
Forum Follower

Post by Blackcat »

Yeah I know the feeling!
The only reason why I only have 1 tank and 17 is because my wife stops me!
But if I was left to my own...I would have like 10 tanks with all Zeb groups..maybe one or two l260 groups.
I'm still waiting on my first, but hope I will acheive it.
If I got to you stage I would be OVER THE MOON!!!

Thanks,
Ron
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Post by craigzeb »

hi m8 i had a group of 8 that had 1 spawn then i added another small adult and mine have since spawned another 3 times so it didnt effect mine in the slightest
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Do not do anything that will interrupt a spawning group. I can take a long time for the pecking orders to be worked out. I say orders because there is one for the males and another for the females.

All the females want the alpha male, so they have to figure out who gets him. And if one is lucky enough to have two males spawning in a colony, the ladies have to sort out who is next in line for him.

By all means get more zebras, just get them a different tank. Heck, start a whole new group. You can never have too many zebras.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.