Missing Fry

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
UKCHRIS
Forum Follower

Missing Fry

Post by UKCHRIS »

So I have had a few spawns, I have 9 in a breeding trap from eggs kicked out - they are doing great.

But in the 240L main tank, my 1st spawn and some of the second - I cant see any of them. I sometimes see the odd one, but not sure if he is the only one or if its the same one.

Cant find any bodies, are they really that good at hiding or have the died or somehow got somewhere they shouldnt in the tank (pretty sure the filters are blocked up (internal with sponge and external with filter bag) but I thought I would see them a little more than this.

I think they may have died - in which case what do I do with the 9 in the breeder trap. Any advice?
craigzeb
Obsessed!!

Re: Missing Fry

Post by craigzeb »

they will find the smallest of gaps to hide in i only see alot of mine at feeding time when they come out i have left all my 4 spawns in the tank with 9 adults and they never attack them or anything i have never caught mine and put in a trap just let nature do its buisness
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

My first fry hunt I pulled 53 fry out of the breeder tank. If I was lucky I might might see 2 or 3 when doing a water change up until then. All you have to do is provide them with plenty of places they can fit and bigger ones cannot. Also, they like to hang together when small unlike the adults who are more territorial.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
UKCHRIS
Forum Follower

Post by UKCHRIS »

Thanks for the advice guys - I have since let the ones out of my fry trap into the tank and i see one pop up now and again so hopefully its all good!