At what size?

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
1zebra
Forum Follower

At what size?

Post by 1zebra »

What is a safe size to add a F1 juvi zeb to a breeding group?
1zebra
Forum Follower

Re: At what size?

Post by 1zebra »

Are there any people raising zebras & keeping them for future breeding ?. Is 3-4 years too long to wait for maturity?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Most of mine were born there and allowed to grow there for at least 5-6 months. I very very rarely add offspring back to a breeder tank once they have been removed.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
1zebra
Forum Follower

Post by 1zebra »

Thanks for your reply.I have 1 zeb from my first spawn.that is about 11/4"size.I was out of town for 3 weeks & discovered this fry while cleaning the tank. It was about 1/2" when I found it. They havejust had their sec ond spawn of 6 fry. I know that these are small spawns but I am stoked. I was thinking of adding the one larger one to my group of zebs. I would like to grow out the other 6 zebs with my L260 fry that are about the same size & age. These are my first zebra fry & I plan on keeping & raising them.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Hi,

I have a 70 gallon tank with 6 adult zebra plecos of which I'm sure there is one male breeding with either one or two females. They have been breeding non-stop since March of 2012. All the fry are in the same tank mingling with the adults and appear to be doing just fine. In fact there is an adult under each slate rock with a bunch of babies so they seem to be getting along. As they mature this may change, but the biggest factor as i understand it, is that they have enough space/hiding areas for themselves.

Cheers,
Samantha
1zebra
Forum Follower

Post by 1zebra »

Hi Samantha! Thanks for your input. I only have 4 zebs , 2 males & 2 females. They are in a 40 gallon breeder tank. It is 36" w x 18" d x 17h. I have 3 caves under flat slate rocks. I was thinking of adding 1 juvi from their 1st spawn. Its about 11/2" size. I am raising 6 fry from their 2nd spawn with L260 fry. They are all about 3/4" size. My zeb & queen Arabasque fry get along great together.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Hi,

I think you are okay to add a juvi to the 40 gallon tank. As long as they can hide under the slate rocks or in some type of crevice they will be fine but you might be surprised to see them all hanging out together. My group has shown no aggression towards one another and my tank is full of babies of assorted size and 7 adults. Goodluck!