Name this L's.....?

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Name this L's.....?

Post by jerms55555 »

OK my tank cracked and I had to put them in a new home this weekend so I thought I would take some pics....I have to separate some of them as I dont want to cross breed any of them...I know for a fact i have at least one L333 and one L66 but Im no too sure on the others, maybe some L287 and L236's.....Lets see what you experts can tell me, because when I bought these I just put them in one tank thinking that they will never spawn together...Thanks again!!!
Last edited by jerms55555 on Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Jerms,

Sorry to hear about your tank, hope you get it sorted.

I would say that No 7 is the L333 because of the tail and head shape. As for the L66 I really can't tell, as a pure guess I would say No 4?

Adam
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Jerms,

At the end can you tell us what you bought them as.

Seeing that they all have an amber/gold eye to me they may all be L333, then again I'm confused myself with L66, L333, L236, and L287.

Some of the ones you have look very similar to ones that I bought as L236s.

I have all four types, at least that's what I bought them as, but some look so similar to me that it makes me wonder what I really have and don't have. Very confusing.

Ken
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Hi Ken and Adam
Thats why I took the pictures because I forgot what I bought them as....lol :lol:
I Know for sure that number 7 is a L333...aka majestic tiger....I think number one is a L66..aka king tiger.....I think I might have dropped a few L236's in here...I dont remember?? I just bout a 60 gal with four dividers so i can put each specie in there own tank...
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Jerms,

Are the white bands truly that white. I find that some times the bands are whiter than they are because the way the picture was taken, ie. with flash without flash, with sun light entering the room. Are they more creamy to yellow/brown color when not stressed.

Ken
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

You know im glad you said that because when I first bought some of them they were a off-white/ yellow tint and when I was taking them out they turned almost a pale yellow with no black bands!....but after I left it in the container for about five minutes they started to turned really black and white!...but most of the time their color changes to white/black (during feeding times) and yellow/brownish durning regular activity....I think its a defense thing!
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi,

have you bought the all together? Are they from the same place from Brasil?

Sven
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

I'm going to say that none of them are 066 or 333... due to the colourings - My guess would be 236's (or one of the new straine that all took too similare to really tell apart)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I bought them from different people and places!!! What I can remember is that I bought at least 3-4 from one store and he said they were L236 but were priced pretty cheap.....so i dont know....now i bought number 7 as a majestic tiger....dont know the L# and this one was from a LFS. Now i bought another 3-4 from a LFS that they called them a "new" king royal pleco...so I googled it and this is what I found...
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=1 ... tnG=Search
I think most of mine look like these!!! BUT WHAT NUMBER ARE THEY???? :roll:
sooo confusing!!!! :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Like the last one I came home with, yours look like they are white with black stripes, even the one on the last picture, which has a tail that looks very much like an L333. The L333s I've seen before, even the one with wider stripes, look black with white stripes.

I don't think yours are L333, and I don't think the one I came home with is a L333 either :?

I'm looking at the body shape of yours, the eyecolor, the dorsal fin, the pectoral fin, the caudal fin and the patterning on all fin, the body shape and the shape of the head. Strong leading ray on pectoral and dorsal fin. What do I miss noticing?

I honestly can't see that yours and mine would be of a different species by the looks of the fish. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but here's a picture of the one I brought home:

I suspect that I have the answer to what mine is when you find what yours are :)

I'm just worried about cross breeding now...
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Yes Mceve, I think yours look like some of mine as well!!! The only ones that differ to yours would be probably my number 1 and my number 7...which i think #7 is a L333....
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Jerms,

In my view nos 1 to 6 are identical with no 7 being slightly different mainly due to its tail shape.
Your fish do look like McEves though yours appear to have more deeply forked caudals. In another post else where on this site, I stated that I believed that McEves fish looked like a L287 as shown on Aqualog Pg 201.

Regards,
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How about L236?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Jerms,

Don't mean to Hijack. But here is a picture of L333 that I bought. They were black and white when I bought them but now this is what they look like. I don't know if they are really L333. their tails are to forked to me but the bottom fin of the tails are wide. what do you guys/gals think? sorry for the dirty glass.

Ken
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This is a nightmare.

To tell you what I think then I think they fish in this thread are all the same species, only separated by (maybe) location. Same as Rattus Rattus is the same species wether you find it in Amerika or Asia. Only local varieties in clima and type of food make some of them larger than others :P

Darker water would give a fish with brighter color, clear water (more light) gives a fish with duller colors.

This theory is all my brain can handle right now :lol: