My babies

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Jo's Zebs

My babies

Post by Jo's Zebs »

Looked at them this morning the alpha has got a female trapped she has been in there all day this spawn is 2 weeks late, these fish are awsome.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

Awesome pic and congrats!

How big is that tank? How many Zebras are in there and do you know the Male/Female ratio?

I kept mine in a 3 ft tank and there was a lot fighting so I was just curious how you were able to have what looks to be a lot of males so close to each other.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

The tank is 5ft 400L there are around 40 fish in there 20 wild caught adults some 9 years+ juvies and babies there are at least 7 full grown males I have not had any issues with fighting at any point probably because the tank is quite big and there are a lot of caves in a double hight row along the length of the tank all but a few of my females use caves aswell as the males
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

wow... VERY interesting! It sounds like you went against a lot of the "conventional guidelines" - Relatively large tank, a few tank mates and more caves than males.

How many spawns or babies have you had and in how long with this set up?

So you've noticed the majority of your females stay in caves as well? This is interesting because I have been using this method to help identify questional zebras as males or females, if you're sure that the majority of your females hang out in caves, this might not be very reliable.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I have had them in this setup for more than 5 years now I used to keep discus in this tank hence the size and all the zebs in 100L tanks in smaller groups but they had some nasty scraps in the smaller tanks, I have spawns every 4 weeks without fail with the odd spawn inbetween (I have a thread about the breeding with pictures on here somewhere) They have bred solidly in this setup with only one very long break last year when I moved. All the drawbacks I thought would happen with using such a big tank have not occured although it does look quite empty until you really look close.
The females use the caves as well as the males I have however over the last 2 years added more and more caves there are far more caves than adult zebs so maybe this is why most cave when there were less caves the females did not use them as much.
The young zebs tend to hide around where they can squeeze in under slate, under the airwall behind the caves.
I have thought about moving the colony into my fish house but this would involve splitting them up into smaller groups and disturbing them they are happy as they are and it works well for them so I see no point, I even have the hang of catching fry quite easy in the big tank it is quite a skill :lol:
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Hi Jo!

Nice photos!!

Wow... I didn't know that the zebs would take the second story caves like that! Very interesting!

-Angela