Lefty & The rest of my Keepers

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
TwoTankAmin

Lefty & The rest of my Keepers

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Here is a pic of lefty from below, he is also in the bucket pic with the rest of the keepers.

They are all pushing 2 inches or more TL.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jamie24
Obsessed!!

Post by Jamie24 »

was it born/ developed this way? or was it injured in a fight or damaged?
L046 x 16 + Fry
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I normally move most of fry a couple of times- first the smallest in the breeder tank go into a 15 and from there into a 10 pending sale. last Dec I began setting aside some of the largest for myself in another 10. I assume I moved Lefty at least twice and possibly three times and never noticed the missing fin during the moves. I finally noticed it about 2-3 months back while cleaning the keeper tank.

Those facts combined with a recent discusion with Barbie where she said missing fins at birth are pretty rare has led me to conclude it must have been the result of injury. It is possible it was fighting but Lefty is one of the biggest keepers as you can see from the bucket picture.
Jo's Zebs

Post by Jo's Zebs »

I like the fact that you have named him, has his abilitys been affected at all.
L number plecos and pleco products worldwide delivery www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Aww bless Lefty, hopefully competing for food etc and able to breed in the future though despite the missing fin :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It does not seem to have stopped him from claiming the best cavelike area in the tank and he has held if for months. I am calling him a male since he gordes that cave area like you would exoect from a male.

Of course its possible its a she who wants to hide her mossing fin from the males? We will see over time what comes to pass ;-)

Just a note. I try very hard not to sell any fish born in my tanks that are not 100%. Those that are not are always allowed to live out their natural lives someplace in my system. I do not cull any fish save those that are clearly suffering or can't cope. So lefty will always have a place no matter what- even if that means not being able to live with other zebras.
Stevie.K
Mentally Certified!

Post by Stevie.K »

I agree with not culling any healthy, deformed or snubnosed fish.

As long as they are not tried to be breed they get to live their live in a commnity tank or somewhere else,

At least your fish is easy to identify :lol:
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Actually snub nosing in zebras is an environmental not a genetic issue and they will breed true.