My juvenile Zebs from Andrew Coxon

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi all

Post by dave »

Dear Andrew and SmithRC

First of all after reading the posts again, I did state all along camera angles can be deceptive and requested other opinions after the thread started getting lively.

As for snub noses the jury is still out. I now have 6 snub noses, 5 of which I purchased, big mistake, they are now 2 years old. Another year and I may try and cross them with a normal male, another 2 or 3 years breed them with each other.

Fin distortion, I have experienced this myself with Placidochromis Electra, an acquaintance of mine has bred Banglai Cardinals for a number of years experienced the same.

This was removed by crossing back to unrelated stock.

If environmental ( I lean to this with snub noses ) there isn't a problem as far as I can see, this is easily remedied.

If genetic ( I lean to this with distorted fins ) this can easily be bred out.

I am not saying here that the adults are defective.

Take human beings for instance and hereditary diseases, the probability of children inheriting such a disease is determined by the genes of both parents, guess the same could also be said about baldness.

As PM rightly said in the wild, deformities tend to be removed by predation and other factors such as not being able to catch food, the list goes on.

Peace and love to all.

Rastafari lives in

Dave
Zebrapl3co
Obsessed!!

Post by Zebrapl3co »

OK I think I am beating this topic to death. But I've been meaning to post these pictures to show that angles can be very misleading, but didn't have to time to find the pictures. Just today, I remember that I put them out on my local fish site.

Anyway, these 3 pictures are of the same fish I purchase, wild caught before the ban was in effect.

Pic 1:

From this picture, I guess you can say "OMG, that one on the left is a snub-nose - short fin zebra.

Pic 2:
Oh wait, that snub-nose is now a long-nose, the fin is also grew too!

Pic 3:
Here is another picture from top down. Looks just like any other zebra I've seen. Remember these are wild caught imported from Brazil to a fish store and I purchase them from the store.
Ronap
Forum Follower

Post by Ronap »

I was proud to get my first Zebra's
@ PaulH - I know exactly how you feel. I just got my first four Zebs from the lovely Sam and Neil. Thanks for the tour of the tanks and all your help guys.

I dont care about their fin size or whether their stripes are degree perfect. They are each 2 inches of happiness and joy for me.

Enjoy them and stay proud. :luw:
PaulH196
Groupie

Juvenile Zebra's

Post by PaulH196 »

Ronap,

Thank you for the message, I hope you get as much pleasure caring for your new Zebra's as I am getting with mine.

I am really looking forward to seeing them develop into adults in a few years time.

Regards

PaulH
Regards

PaulH
TDI-line
Groupie

Post by TDI-line »

Hi all,

i also purchased 3 zebra plecs from Andrew last weekend, and i have to say they are of 1st class quality and i am very pleased with them, and the service he gave me.

And also am looking forward to growing these marvelous fish on.

Regards,

Dan.