Unknown L-no. pleco

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

Greatshorty wrote:
Jojoyojimbi wrote:i still want a dozen of them, which hypans do i have to cross to get those?
I have no idea :roll:
damn! foiled again =(
Greatshorty
Groupie

Post by Greatshorty »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:
Greatshorty wrote:
Jojoyojimbi wrote:i still want a dozen of them, which hypans do i have to cross to get those?
I have no idea :roll:
damn! foiled again =(
May be you can try to cross bred 260 and 262....they may have the chance to get something out with different pattern.
However, someone told me their pattern may change according to their living environment....if the environment is suitable the colouration will be much better and may give you some surprise.
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

i'm generally opposed to crossbreeding fish but hypancistrus are all so similar i don't have the same apprehension
Greatshorty
Groupie

Post by Greatshorty »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:i'm generally opposed to crossbreeding fish but hypancistrus are all so similar i don't have the same apprehension
But what do you mean by this if you are opposing crossbreed?
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

The fish was a cross between L66 and L136.

However why create a hybrid when natural selection has taken so long to give us such beauties as L46, L250, L316 etc...... to name but a few

Would you take a couple of different strains of Jack Whatley Discus and cross breed those and undo the years of work it to took to fix the strain?

Al.C
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

Alistair wrote:The fish was a cross between L66 and L136.

However why create a hybrid when natural selection has taken so long to give us such beauties as L46, L250, L316 etc...... to name but a few

Would you take a couple of different strains of Jack Whatley Discus and cross breed those and undo the years of work it to took to fix the strain?

Al.C
because fish genetics are kind of like the lottery... if you don't play you can't 'win', ie. if you don't cross them you'll never develop a new strain, and btw, there aren't that many strains of Wattley's that will compare with the wild strains if you get the right fish

ImageImage
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I find this a little bizarre, on a site that is dedicated to the well being of L46's, there is a discussion going on about hybridising fish, which is fair enough, but advocating it I'm not so sure. You never know somebody may try it because of this thread.

Comparing hybridisation of Hypancistrus with what has happened with Discus or more recently Aulonacaras is pointless, as the selective breeding of the latter started sometime ago, when the world was a different place, not as conservation minded, and to state the obvious we cannot undo it.

This site has shown the way with L46's, a knock on effect I guess is the breeding of other small L No's, reported successes are becoming more frequent.

At this point in time, we can make a difference by conserving specific species in our aquariums, or at least assisting.

There is enough confusion identifying LNo's without creating more by deliberately hybridising them.

Dave
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Re: Hi

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

dave wrote:There is enough confusion identifying LNo's without creating more by deliberately hybridising them.

Dave

morbid curiosity of course, and you never know what you'll get until you do it