My 1st Zebra fry pic

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
nesolb
Obsessed!!

My 1st Zebra fry pic

Post by nesolb »

Here is a pic of my first zebra fry which I found on Sunday when I moved my zebras to their new tank.

It is roughly half an inch in size and I'm guessing it's between 3 - 4 weeks old, this would make it from my first spawn at the beginning of last month.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Lovely baby, but you need to get him feeding as soon as possible :)
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Thanks McEve. I was just happy, and suprised, to find it in the first place.

I know, from what I've read in other posts, that it's the most important time for it right now but I can only assume that it's eating as it's impossible to spot it in my tank.

The food I'm using disolves in to fine powder like granuals so I think it should be ok eating this stuff.

Do you think, from the pic, that it looks a little under fed? How do you make sure your little ones get food while they're in with the adults?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

It's very hard to keep an eye on only one fry and make sure he's eating. When they're in a group they tend to fight for the food, inspiring eachother to feed.

I keep an eye on mine on the webcam, but not all have that option. You will jsut have to make sure there is a kind of food available that he can eat, then hope he's got the spirit to get on with it :)

I'm sure he'll be alright, the adults will look after him I'm sure ;)
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Congrats!

Post by CDNAqua »

Congrats nesolb! On your new fry!

More to come Im sure.

I myself would move the little one to a fry tank for fattening up. Im sure he will do fine in the adult tank.

You mention you feed them fine powder like granuals. I don't forsee a problem as long as you don't feed wormsto adults with new one present.

Peace

Troy
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I just hope the little fella makes it.

I'm actually feed them JMC catfish pellets which are high in protein and have helped fatten my larger zebbies up. This stuff dissolves into the finer powder granuals so there should be plenty of it to go around.

I'd like to leave the little fella in with the adults as I've read that they tend to develop better if they're not removed from the adult tank.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Congrats on your new zebs babies. I hope you find more of the lil guyz. I think feeding the fry with JMC pellets should be fine. I wouldn't take them out of the adult tank to fatten them. I think the parents do a better job in grooming the fry and keep them in line then we can.