My tank pic

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
nesolb
Obsessed!!

My tank pic

Post by nesolb »

Here's a picture of my tank set-up, all comments, recommendations etc welcome.

This is not the final set-up but seems to be ok for the time being, all are eating and looking well.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Looks fine to me, do the zebs use the upper level caves?
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

our 129's used to use the upper tubes in our groups of 3 :wink:
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

My tank isn't so neatly arranged, but there isn't much more cover than that and my zebs are fine with it. I like being able to see at least a little bit of them, even if just the tip of their tail, so I can do a head count each day. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I used to have a cave on the top floor, and it was used. Your tank looks fine nesolb. How many Zebras have you got in it? I like the bogwood in the middle that provides a natural separation for territories.

Would it be interesting for you guys if we post pictures of our tanks, and get comments on things that might be done better - or even just get verification that it looks ok? This way we could compare how we have our tanks set up, and see what works and what doesn't.

If you think that's a good idea, would it be ok for you if we use this thread to post tank pictures for comments nesolb?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I'm happy to post a pic of my set up (I'll have to take one first!). Mine isn't glamorous, but the fish seem happy and that's the main thing.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Thanks for the comments. The floor level caves seem to be the most used although the one to the right of the middle bogwood on the first level has been used.

They seem to like this set-up anyway. There are plenty of crevaces underneath the two pieces of bogwood I've placed at the back and I've counted at least 10 of them in their own hiding place, the most popular one tho seems to be the piece on the left.

There are actually 19 in there McEve, believe it or not. I've been able to do a regular head count cos most of them are easy enough to spot. I've also been able to sit right in front of the glass and they'll come out in to the open to eat, with the light on. I thought it would be beneficial to give them an open eating are to encourage them to come out.

I did actually have a look around the forum McEve to see if there was such a thread. I'm happy for everyone to post their pics/comments etc on this thread. :) I'm looking forward to seeing other members tank pics too.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

wow- that's a large group nesolb :D

Ok, I'll start and show mine the way they look now then

I've got two males and two females, + 10something frys in this tank:

I only have two caves in there, as there's only two males, and have provided hiding places just next to them, trying to lure the females over there. They have settled under the slate in the right corner so far though - and yes, I must get cover for the heater :)

This is the tank I rearranged, removing lots of slate and plants. 3 males 5 females. You'll notice that there is one female hiding behind the filter, which is not good. That usually means they feel it's no floor space available, and is generally a sign that the fish doesn't feel comfortable. I checked again half an hour after the picture was taken, and she wasn't there anymore, so it might be just a rearranging of territories that caused it... I don't know, I think I'll put more slate back in there.

I don't like how either tanks look at present.

Comments are of course welcome
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Lovely set-ups you have guys!!

Nesolb, I'm sure nothing will go wrong but have you considered splitting you group? Firstly to hopefully allow for better growth and more importantly incase something should go wrong in your tank...I't sure it won't but its worth considering.

I once lost a whole tank of fish due to a heater jamming on overnight. I was gutted and they were just bread an butter community fish.
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

It's my intention to split the group up once they've grown a bit bigger and I've been able to sex them all, with a little help from everyone. :) I thought with the space they've got in my 5ft tank they'd have all the growth room they need.

I plan on setting up a three tier tank system with two 4ft tanks and two 2ft tanks. The 4 footers will be the breeding tanks and the 2's the grow out tanks, providing they spawn of course!! :lol:
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Your set-up looks fine to me McEve but I know what you mean about not liking it. I don't particularly like my set-up, at the moment, but I'm putting the Zebra's needs first.

What plants have you got in there? I'm wanting to add some more to my tank but I'm not sure what to put in, any advice.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Well, you are all critical of your tanks, although I think they look absolutely amazing - they have everything that I would think the zebras need.

Mine is extremely plain at the moment, after looking at yours, I think I will add a couple of plants. I only have two zebras who are in a 70 litre tank. I don't see them much and perhaps if there was bit more decor they might come out more.

I think I have a male and a female (lucky eh!) and the male hangs out at the front of his cave with the female under a small piece of bogwood.